Walt Disney Treasures: NOT so limited?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mark Walker, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Producer
    Supporter

I just got back from Costco, where I snagged SpongeBob SquarePants Season 1 on DVD for $18.49, but on the way there, I noticed that there was a boxed set of ALL of the Walt Disney Treasures DVDs released thus far. The one thing missing: the tins.

The set sold for $124.49, which is a really good price for all of them (thats less than $20 each!)

Does this mean that the tin version was the limited verison, but the actual set is NOT limited? (They were even in the same silver-colored 2-DVD Amray cases within the larger cardboard box housing them all.)

I'm happy that I have what I have, but I might be feelig a tad mislead if only the tin itself was limtied to either 150,000 or 125,000 sets.

Did they just ditch the tins and do more pressings, or did these non-numbered ones always exist?

Any thoughts?

Mark

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

My guess is that the tins were too damaged to sell but the discs and their cases were still good. I doubt that Disney has decided to release the Treasures series without the tins, but I suppose it's possible. If they have, we certainly should have heard about the decision by now, and more stores than Costco should be carrying them.

3. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    But if they did... HEAVEN.

I missed out on the first two series, since I don't live near a major retailer and don't casually shop online.

4. Brian_L_Kleis

Brian_L_Kleis Stunt Coordinator

I was at DisneyLand for my first time ever on Sunday (two days ago, DisneyWorld plenty of times though...) and absolutely zero sign of this happening -

Trust me, I scoured everywhere for any DVD product, and the only two Disney Treasures I found were copies of the Behind the Scenes at Walt Disney Studios (Series 2, parkwide) and Davy Crockett (Series 1, and in Frontierland only) Heaven knows, if the others were reissued, they'd be everywhere for purchase...

On the bonus note, I'm really excited that I now have the two exclusive-to-Disney-park DVDs, "Walt: Man Behind the Myth" and "Frank and Ollie" at home waiting for me tonight...

Go me...

[​IMG]

5. Christopher D

Christopher D Second Unit

I just saw these as well -- I think that Disney at a minimum should clarify this. OTOH, the only people it really hurts are scalpers and speculators, so what do I mind?

6. ChrisKe

ChrisKe Stunt Coordinator

FYI, Silly Symphonies and Mickey Mouse in Living Color are being released in Australia (R4) in Feb 2004. I doubt these will have tins or be limited...

(BTW, I've already got all 7 releases and all 4 of the 2003 wave are on pre-order [​IMG])

7. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

Mark,

Thanks so much for the heads up about this release. I ran to Costco and was able to pick these up. This is an incredible deal. And to think I was just about to spend $50.00 alone for the Goofy set on E-bay. I just wanted the cartoons, the tins don't concern me.

8. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Peter,

I'm with you. Screw the tins, I just want the content. I'll be picking up the new tins immediately, but the fact that I can get these... marvelous!!

9. Antony Jackson

Antony Jackson Auditioning

Can someone here who has the set post or email me a digi photo of what the package looks like?

My sister will be visiting the States to Orlando in a weeks time, and going to Costco so want to ask her to get this for me.

Need a photo I can give her [​IMG]

Many thanks![​IMG]

10. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

I wouldn't mind if they kept these in circulation. Honestly, I like having the limited tins, but I've often thought about how depressing it would be if anything ever happened to these discs. I'd like to have them available at the store in case I ever need to replace a set.

11. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Producer
    Supporter

Antony-

Until somone can get you that digital photo, the set is a boxed set with silver spines of all the 2 disk Amary cases, inside a bigger box, like a set of books would come in. Each spine is clearly marked,"Walt Disney Treasures."
    The case is contained in one of those Costco-only big, clear, plastic "tamper resistant" housings, like some some kids' cassette tapes used to come with a little book and the tape in the bottom half.

I'd take a photo for you, but I already own all of these, and I doubt Costco wants me in their store taking pictures.

Costco tends to keep all the boxed sets together, so your sister should be able to track it down in the warehouse fairly easily.

As for the "heads up," I am glad those who actually like the shorts (and didn't buy them for an investment), can get them. [​IMG]

I just don't like false "limited quantities" advertising, which seems a bit rampant with "limited" releases of "SpiderMan boxed Set" (Which can still be readily found), "Saving Private Ryan," (which can still be readily found), and so on and so forth.

Mark

12. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    If the limited edition is based solely on the packaging, I guess I'm fine with that. If it's also a good way to move excess inventory, more power to Disney. It's been almost a year since the last batch of Treasures came out, so enough time has passed regarding the limited nature of the actual content.

I believe more info on the Costco releases can be found in this thread on UltimateDisney.com.

13. Tom B

Tom B Extra

My experience is that anything that explicitly states that it is "limited edition" (or some such language) is only limited to the number that they can sell. This is after all the United States.
    Tom

14. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve

15. Tom B

Tom B Extra

16. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

Remember, though, that these sets (or the tins, at least) are supposed to be limited to a specific number (150000 - 125000).

17. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Producer
    Supporter

Lars- That was kind of my point of contention, too.

These sets, unlike any others
    (outside of Peter Jackson's "Bad Taste"),
    were actaully individually numbered so it would more than clear that they were limited, truly, to those stamped sets.

On a personal side, I never much like the idea of people buying DVDs soley for "investment" any more than I like people buying art for its investment value but could not care less about the artist or his work.
    (Having this issue right now with some limited edition silkscreen prints I want to acquire.)

Maybe now people will stop buying Disney DVDs hoping to make a profit on eBay later. People have the right to do that, I just think that is what Wall Street is for and I don't like it when it comes to items that were meant to played with and enjoyed being perverted into an item of collectability like those stupid Beanie Babies were.

Toys (and DVDs) should be played (or played with) and not stuck in some vault somewhere to be hoarded.

Okay, stepping off my soapbox.
    [​IMG]

Mark

18. Tom B

Tom B Extra

Mark -
    Very well put, I agree completely. Those comments from a former employee of the collectors plate industry??? Now you're black balled for sure. [​IMG]
    Tom

19. Maurice Verploegen

Maurice Verploegen Stunt Coordinator

Mark,

I am not surprised. I knew all along that they would release this later without the Tins. In fact, I remember one of our members on this form stating this. I read on this form that these discs would be released later without the Tins.

To me, these releases are very special though. So, like you, I am very glad that I have them in these great looking Tins. They look great on the shelf, don't they?

Maurice

20. EdwardKarlinski

EdwardKarlinski Stunt Coordinator

Personally I hate the tins. I just picked up this set at Costco and am very happy!