Walt Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse vs. Silly Symphonies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Porter, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

Which of these collections dominates the other? Or are they equally great? BTW, where can I find the Silly Symphonies collection other than Amazon.com? I was planning on purchasing it from deepdiscountdvd.com but they went out stock. [​IMG] So what do ya'll think of the collections and where find SS collection?
    ~Kevin

2. Mitchell Kaufman

They're both great, but if forced to choose, I'd go with Mickey: the picture quality is generally superior to the Silly Symphonies, and the content is more adaptable to adult sensibilities, if you know what I mean.

In fact, the Mickey set is worth it just for the Donald Duck appearances, which are hilarious.

3. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Kevin,

I guess it boils down to what you want. The Mickey Mouse collection is a great study in the character, whereas the Silly Symphonies set documents the technological growth of animation.

Are you interested in Mickey Mouse - his origins, development as an icon, etc., then get the Mickey Mouse In Living Color.

Or are you interested in seeing the first use of the technicolor 3-strip process? How about the first use of the multi-planar camera? In that case, go with the Silly Symphonies.

But, they are both kick-ass sets in their own rights.

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The transfer quality of the Mickey Mouse set is slightly better, but the breadth of material and historical significance represented by the Silly Symphonies are hard to beat. If I had to choose one, I would go with Silly Symphonies. Fortunately, I did not have to choose! [​IMG]
    Regards,

5. Peter Rohlfs

Peter Rohlfs Stunt Coordinator

Silly Symphony has more variety, better intros and extras plus a ton of cookies (see dvdreview.com for a list).

I went through the set in a couple days. I got Mickey two weeks before and still haven't wanted to watch all of it (though there are some gems, notably the Alice in Wonderland take off and the magician bit).

IMHO,

Peter

6. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

My Costco still has quite a few Silly Symphonies. They have quite of few of all of them but Mickey Mouse In Living Color.

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Get both (That's what I did!).

The Silly Symphonies DVD has more content (a little over 5 hours!), while the Mickey DVD only has 3.5 hours. The quality for the Mickey DVD isn't comparable with the SS DVD at all, though..

The SS DVD has cartoons from 1929-1931 in B&W that actually look great for their age...the main artifacts of the cartoons are just color "jumping" (When the 3 colors seem to jump out of place) and some slight grain. Most dirt you see on both DVD's is from the actual negative. Cel dust was hard to see on soft nitrate prints in the 1930's, but it's more obvious on sharper TV's.

The sound is pretty much the same (Some reviewers have lied about the sound...it's mono, not 5.1)

The Mickey DVD is probably the more entertaining of the two, even though the SS DVD has plenty of greats such as The Old Mill, The Skelaton Dance, and Who Killed Cock Robin.

8. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

Well, I just bought both from Amazon.com so I guess it doesn't matter anymore. But I still want to hear ya'll's opinions.

~Kevin

9. Tom Oh

Tom Oh Second Unit

I got both, but if I had to choose, it's Silly Symphonies hands down. While Mickey is great, SS has more variety and is creative IMHO. My wife felt the same way.

10. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I too would highly suggest picking up both if even remotely possible. I would say that if you had to choose then pick up the Mickey Mouse collection, and I say this for only one reason; it will be harder to get. There are probably more fans of Mickey Mouse then Silly Symphonies even if the symphonies are (IMO) more interesting. However if you ever do decide to pick up the other set (which I highly suggest you do) I believe it would be easier and much cheaper to pick up the Silly Symphonies tin over the Mouse tin. This will espically be true once the sets begin to sell out in the stores. Which ever one you do decide to get I'm sure that you will not be disappointed.

Chris S.

11. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

I picked up the Silly Symphonies at Walmart. It was the ONLY one they had or any of the Treasures sets. It was most impressive, so I decided I wanted the Mickey Mouse one too. It was backordered most places online, but luckily my Sam's Club got in a shipment and I snagged the only MM that was left [​IMG]. They also had the Disneyland USA and Davy Crockett ones. I havent decided if I want those 2 or not.
    The SS was excellent and I really enjoyed what I've watched of it. One of the symphonies has some blurry bits, but it wasnt too distracting. It's a bargain for over 5 hours.
    MM is also excellent, my kids thought these were hilarious. There's a short documentary hosted by Leonard Maltin about MM. I thought the SS did better extrawise (2 docs and Maltin intros his fav SSs), but still a bargain.

12. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Kevin,

Get both!

You may NEVER see these titles again on

any format.

These will become collector's items, and,

they truly represent the cream of Disney's

history.

I think all these cartoons are terrific little

features to show your visiting movie audience

before the main feature presentation. I

guarantee it will leave your guests with smiles

on their faces.

13. Tom Oh

Tom Oh Second Unit

Great idea Ron! I'll hook up my portable and show it before the feature the next time I have guests over for a film.[​IMG]

14. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

mine are coming via UPS today... yeah! can't wait. I got the Mickey Mouse and Silly Symphonies... and I may even go to Costco and pick up Disneyland USA (I am just a sucker for these Limited Edition sets [​IMG] )

15. Juan C Toro

Juan C Toro Stunt Coordinator

I have both, and I love them.

BUT, I think that Disney missed the opportunity to make this a true masterpiece for the animation fan. The presentation of the shorts should have been in chronological order, to make this DVDs not only entertaining, but also a real history lesson in animation. But they rather went by way of grouping them in meaningless categories, and to make things worse, decided to hide some of them as “easter eggs”.

And by the way, they are not a complete collection of both series. There are plenty more Silly Symphonies and Mickey shorts, that we will hopefully see in a future release.

JC

16. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor