What's new

Walt Disney Treasures 11/27 (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The "Behind the Scenes" set will contain, I assume, mostly live action. THE RELUCTANT DRAGON, which is in the set, does have the self-titled animated short at its end, but is also mostly comprised of live-action material.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I have no info about The Reluctant Dragon, but I do have some good news: I can verify through my entertainment industry job that the Mickey and Goofy sets will contain unedited cartoons, with Leonard Maltin "disclaimer" introductions.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
A tentative YAY!!! I hope that they are truly uncensored and not like "The Three Little Pigs" which only showed the Jewish Peddler sequence in the background of the introduction, with Maltin talking all the way through it. If you're going to have it at all, leave it in the film. I do have to say that Disney's recent releases have been stellar. The Vault Disney sets, the Treasures, and the FANTASIA and SNOW WHITE releases are all very well done and mostly fluff-free.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I hope that they are truly uncensored and not like "The Three Little Pigs"
Well, one of the cartoons shows Mickey and Minnie in blackface, so presumably they are uncensored.

The change to "The Three Little Pigs" was made while Disney was still alive, in the 50s or early 60s, so I think the studio may have felt it would be blasphemy to change it back, since Walt Disney himself ordered the change.

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Agermose Jensen
Actually the Disney web site reads 326 minutes for the Goofy set so 5 hours was just about right Douglas.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Brian,
With the current state of Disney, you think that they actually give a hoot about Walt's wishes? ;)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Three Little Pigs edit was made in the mid-1940's.

Any other edits (Like the Fantasia bastardization..) are NOT how Walt wanted them! (Excluding re-issue changes like alternate opening and closing titles)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Is there any definite information about whether the original full-length version of THE RECLUCTANT DRAGON (1941) will be included in this set in its entirety?
As I posted in another thread (but I don't want anybody to miss it), I can verify that the new Treasure DVD does contain the full-length version of "Reluctant Dragon." It runs 1 hour and 13 minutes. I believe the live action is black and white and the cartoon segments are color, which I would assume was the way it was shot.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
The switch from b/w to Technicolor in "The Reluctant Dragon" is a real "Wizard of Oz" moment: In a hallway, the b/w Benchley opens a door (to the paint-mixing lab, I believe), and the next shot, from inside, is in color. Benchley remarks on the switch, even using the "T" word as I recall. From then on, the live action and cartoons are both in color. Earlier, the work of the sound-effects department was illustrated with b/w cartoon footage featuring the little train from "Dumbo," Casey Jr. (This was specifically animated for the segment, not a clip from the feature.) The film possibly switches back to b/w for the closing shots of Benchley driving away from the studio with his "wife;" I can't recall for sure.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I'm happy for the animation buffs that Disney is moving forward on those, but when on when will they get off their behinds and release "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea"?

MarkBurton

Second Unit
Here are some higher-quality scans, via Amazon.com
BEHIND THE SCENES AT THE WALT DISNEY STUDIOS

THE COMPLETE GOOFY

MICKEY MOUSE IN BLACK AND WHITE

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I'd be happier if there was an exact date next year to know about. As I recall it was already finished but Disney is slow to release because they don't think it will sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks