What's new

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will release more than 30 catalog titles on Blu-ray Disc in 2 (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
NY2LA said:
Still waiting for Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Happiest Millionaire, both preferably done right with the requisite extras. I think extras were left off Millionaire for disc space previously, they have a premiere featurette and I bet Warren and Davidson did commentaries back whey they did them for Family Band. Millionaire could do seamless branching for long and short versions... so could Bedknobs.
Millionaire was originally licensed thru Anchor Bay, so they might not have had access to extras. When it was eventually re-released by Disney themselves, it was always done as a cheapie, so they probably didn't want to get off the dime for a (sort of) marginal title. Does anyone know if the old LD had extras??
B&B would be good with seamless branching. However, it seems like they're only interested in releasing it in the longer version these days. I hope they find Step in the Right Direction soon, though--

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ethan Riley said:
Millionaire was originally licensed thru Anchor Bay, so they might not have had access to extras. When it was eventually re-released by Disney themselves, it was always done as a cheapie, so they probably didn't want to get off the dime for a (sort of) marginal title.
No, they included some extras on the DVD of Family Band, an equal or lesser title depending on opinion. Someone within the company stated they simply did not have any more room on the disc when they put out THM themselves.
There was a little scandal at the time of the AB release because Scott McQueen had done a beautiful transfer of the complete Millionaire, including appropriate visuals for Overture and Intermission and Exit music that ran at 24 frames rather than as a still so "it would breathe" as he said. And yet, someone within the company, apparently driven by political malice, sabotaged the video release by making a different, less impressive and less accurate master for Anchor Bay. By the time Disney released it themselves, Scott was no longer there to ensure it was done well.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Both films had sections re-edited rather than just having bits snipped out here and there, which makes for interesting comparisons. Each film has three running times as well. I'd love to see all the versions of each released.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
And where are the first two Muppet movies?

Originally Posted by Ethan Riley /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012/60#post_3981400
Millionaire was originally licensed thru Anchor Bay, so they might not have had access to extras. When it was eventually re-released by Disney themselves, it was always done as a cheapie, so they probably didn't want to get off the dime for a (sort of) marginal title. Does anyone know if the old LD had extras??
B&B would be good with seamless branching. However, it seems like they're only interested in releasing it in the longer version these days. I hope they find Step in the Right Direction soon, though--

There was no laserdisc of Millionaire.

I prefer the long version of Bedknobs, despite the re-dubbing issues (maybe they can use technology that didn't exist in the 1990s to make it sound less jarring), but knowing Disney, I guess we can count out seeing an option to watch it with the photo reconstruction of "Right Direction" (right now I'm not optimistic about Muppet Christmas Carol and "When Love is Gone"). I could have lived with it in the body of the film, just as I could live with the still photos in the 1954 A Star is Born. That is, unless they find it. How did it even get lost when everything else was kept?

Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012/60#post_3981404
No, they included some extras on the DVD of Family Band, an equal or lesser title depending on opinion. Someone within the company stated they simply did not have any more room on the disc when they put out THM themselves.
There was a little scandal at the time of the AB release because Scott McQueen had done a beautiful transfer of the complete Millionaire, including appropriate visuals for Overture and Intermission and Exit music that ran at 24 frames rather than as a still so "it would breathe" as he said. And yet, someone within the company, apparently driven by political malice, sabotaged the video release by making a different, less impressive and less accurate master for Anchor Bay. By the time Disney released it themselves, Scott was no longer there to ensure it was done well.

That sounds about in character for the second half of Eisner's tenure. I remember the article in the LA Times praising Anchor Bay for releasing movies Disney wouldn't even acknowledge existed anymore. That's what set Eisner off. They even sabotaged Anchor Bay's efforts to reconstruct the original cut of The Watcher in the Woods. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if personal feelings do come into play for what gets released and how well they get treated. Obviously, money plays a significant part of it, but executives are human, and humans have emotions.

I heard years ago that two songs were cut from Family Band and its planned roadshow release cancelled because Millionaire didn't do well at the box office.

What other movies should the executives get editing credits on? And who exercised the authority to make these cuts? In the book DisneyWar, there's a good section on the state of the company in the early 1980s. Splash was being edited, and Card Walker, the CEO of the company in the 1970s, told Ron Miller, "That's good, let's just cut six or seven scenes," to which Miller replied, "Card, you just don't get it." Yet Miller took the fall for the studio's downturn.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
Why can't Disney just do double feature blu-rays for some of their live action movies. The Absent Minded Professor/Son of Flubber, The Misadventures of Merlin Jones/The Monkey's Uncle, Shaggy Dog/Shaggy DA, Apple Dumpling Gang/Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again, Old Yeller/Savage Sam. Everything except the Parent Trap and Parent Trap 2, I can't stand that second movie. I wouldn't even mind if they paired up some of their stars/genre movies like Tommy Kirk, Annette Funicello, Kurt Russell, Kevin Corcoran.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
chadHobbick said:
Why can't Disney just do double feature blu-rays for some of their live action movies. The Absent Minded Professor/Son of Flubber, The Misadventures of Merlin Jones/The Monkey's Uncle, Shaggy Dog/Shaggy DA, Apple Dumpling Gang/Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again, Old Yeller/Savage Sam. Everything except the Parent Trap and Parent Trap 2, I can't stand that second movie. I wouldn't even mind if they paired up some of their stars/genre movies like Tommy Kirk, Annette Funicello, Kurt Russell, Kevin Corcoran.
Disney lost something essential when they eliminated theatrical from their longtime 7 year reissue cycle and left it solely to video. If the company were really good at handling their catalog, there would not only be better DVD packages, but also a moderately priced pay channel called Classic Disney. Like Warners they don't realize that the primary market for older "general audience" titles will be the adults that grew up on them. Many of them have kids or grandkids to show them to, many do not. During the last golden age of Disney animation, they had two different ad campaigns, one simple and elegant, artfully aimed at adults, the other with a cartoony kid appeal that ended up on the VHS box.
I could see a Medfield College series, broken up into Tommy Kirk and Kurt Russell. A Love Bug box, Hayley Mills, Dean Jones, etc.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by chadHobbick /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012/60#post_3981433

Absent Minded Professor/Son of Flubber has been on a recent insert and should arrive sometime in 2013.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
Absent Minded Professor/Son of Flubber has been on a recent insert and should arrive sometime in 2013.
As individual blu-rays or a double feature? Heck, knowing Disney they will give us the colorized Absent Minded Professor instead of the black/white version.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Anyone want to play with titles for potential group discs? I've always had Boatniks and Snowball Express as seasonal titles, so Idunno if I would combine them with each other, but there are plenty of titles to play with. Polyanna and Parent Trap? What would make nice double or triple features? would be reallynice to keep the shorts that played theatrically with them or substitute something appropriate. Million Dollar Duck and Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit? Or Horse and Ugly Dachsund? Monkey's Uncle and Monkeys Go Home? How about Bon Voyage and Emil and the Detectives? I would prefer similar themed movies that would really play together well rather than just similar names.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by chadHobbick /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012/60#post_3981539
As individual blu-rays or a double feature? Heck, knowing Disney they will give us the colorized Absent Minded Professor instead of the black/white version.

Double feature. And I highly doubt they'll have the colorized AMP. Those days are fortunately in the past.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
As for non-diamond animated titles, I have heard we are getting Aladdin and Mulan, while The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh has been confirmed for next spring according to an insert in the Blu-ray of The Tigger Movie. The Sword in the Stone, Robin Hood and Oliver & Company have multiple-of-five anniversaries next year, so I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one of those.

And as for the shorts, hopefully we will see something of greater or equal quality as the successor to the late, lamented Walt Disney Treasures line.

Monkey's Uncle (which I would buy for the Beach Boys/Annette/Sherman Brothers title song alone) is the sequel to Misadventures of Merlin Jones, and those would make a good double feature.

I imagine Herbie will get some attention at some point. The first film got a great DVD special edition. A five-film box set would be interesting. There was even a short-lived TV show in 1982. The studio sure loved that car.

The Apple Dumpling Gang and its sequel could be a double feature, as could the two original Witch Mountain movies.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by MatthewA /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012/90#post_3981619

And as for the shorts, hopefully we will see something of greater or equal quality as the successor to the late, lamented Walt Disney Treasures line.

Indeed. The Cinemascope titles alone have the potential to look incredible on Blu.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I see that DICK TRACY will have a srp of $26.99, more than most of their live-action Touchstone/Hollywood releases, which are $20.00 I am hoping this means there will be some added content.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I'd LOVE a re-release of TALL STORY in the proper ratio. I don't even care if it's just in DVD ... this is such a lovely film that it deserves the
same care given to Disney's better known titles. Of course, a ratio-corrected Blu-Ray would be absolutely heavenly!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
PODER said:
I'd LOVE a re-release of TALL STORY in the proper ratio. I don't even care if it's just in DVD ... this is such a lovely film that it deserves the
same care given to Disney's better known titles. Of course, a ratio-corrected Blu-Ray would be absolutely heavenly!
I think you mean TALL TALE: THE UNBELIEVABLE ADVENTURE.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
MatthewA said:
They had one. They called it "The Disney Channel." When it was a pay-cable channel, it had wall-to-wall Disney movies, cartoons and TV shows from all eras, as well as classic movies and even concerts (they reran Judy Garland's Christmas show and some of Frank Sinatra's TV specials), and they had some good original programs, too (I still miss Road to Avonlea). Then they turned it into a basic cable channel and shuffled all the old Disney stuff to the middle of the night before dumping it entirely. Now they have several variations on Disney Channel for every demographic, but all of it is for current stuff.
Oh yes I remember, and though it was miles better than it is now, it was still a hodgepoge with a very limited evercycling playlist. How many times have you seen the Osmonds at Disneyland with EJ Peaker? I could recite the lines.
When Gerry Laybourne left Viacom for Disney, I figured she would do for them what they had just done with Nick. Disney had Vault Disney at night and needed a companion channel focused completely on the catalog, hence Classic Disney. They didn't.
MatthewA said:
Monkey's Uncle (which I would buy for the Beach Boys/Annette/Sherman Brothers title song alone) is the sequel to Misadventures of Merlin Jones, and those would make a good double feature.
Oh boy, did I ever drive my mother nuts when that record came out. Played that song over and over about a million times until she pleaded with me "For chrissakes turn it over!"

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Dick /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012/90#post_3981642
I see that DICK TRACY will have a srp of $26.99, more than most of their live-action Touchstone/Hollywood releases, which are $20.00 I am hoping this means there will be some added content.

I have heard rumors that Warren Beatty has wanted to do a director's cut, but the studio rebuffed him.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
MatthewA said:
I have heard rumors that Warren Beatty has wanted to do a director's cut, but the studio rebuffed him.
Yes, I heard that. I had also heard Beatty was trying to wrest ownership (or at least the video licence) of the film from Disney so that he could release it the way he wanted, but I have always thought that unlikely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks