What's new

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will release more than 30 catalog titles on Blu-ray Disc in 2 (1 Viewer)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan^H said:
What...the....hell?
I'll take your word that these are bad. After watching 'Color Of Money' I would say anything is possible with Disney. Are they trying to con people, because dvd quality(being kind some scenes looked more natural on the dvd) slapped in a Blu-Ray case is bad news. I can forgive them for a miss here and there, but it sounds like with their catalog titles this is a trend....and that is not so easy to forgive.
Romy and Michelle pre-order cancelled.
I don't claim any special technical knowledge or expertise but I can tell you that the subtitles are sharper than the picture. Maybe what I'm seeing is called "mosquito noise" because it's moving? A bit like projecting the movie on the side of a huge active ant farm. The picture is what I'd call, in Amy Heckerling's "Clueless" terms, "a Monet" because "from a distance it's okay but up close it's a big old mess!" And from a distance a Blu Ray should look better than okay.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
NY2LA said:
I don't claim any special technical knowledge or expertise but I can tell you that the subtitles are sharper than the picture. Maybe what I'm seeing is called "mosquito noise" because it's moving? A bit like projecting the movie on the side of a huge active ant farm. The picture is what I'd call, in Amy Heckerling's "Clueless" terms, "a Monet" because "from a distance it's okay but up close it's a big old mess!" And from a distance a Blu Ray should look better than okay.
Blu-Ray should look much better than dvd. You needn't know any special technical knowledge. If the Blu doesn't look better than the dvd(or just slightly better) to your eyes, then you are probably right.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan^H said:
Blu-Ray should look much better than dvd. You needn't know any special technical knowledge. If the Blu doesn't look better than the dvd(or just slightly better) to your eyes, then you are probably right.
Even from a distance I noticed scenes in Sister Act where a couple guys' beards were buzzing.
(and I'm not talking about Katie and Kelly)

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
If GROSSE POINTE BLANK is awful I will be very upset. HIGH FIDELITY slightly less so, because at least that DVD is anamorphic.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Some pretty good titles are upcoming. But what about SCARECROW OF ROMNEY MARSH?
I wasn't fast enough to snag one on the previous 'if you blinked, you missed it' DVD very limited edition which contained both the TV, and theatrical versions, plus extras.
I'm sure that this would be a popular title on Blu Ray as well.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Reed Grele /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012/60#post_3942190
Some pretty good titles are upcoming. But what about SCARECROW OF ROMNEY MARSH?
I wasn't fast enough to snag one on the previous 'if you blinked, you missed it' DVD very limited edition which contained both the TV, and theatrical versions, plus extras.
I'm sure that this would be a popular title on Blu Ray as well.
Yes, because it sold out so fast, I was sure Disney would be doing a Blu-ray of this release sooner rather than later. I did manage to get the release, but I think it would look splendid on Blu-ray.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Sorry to hear that some of these titles are turning out sub-par. On the positive side, I can say that Evita looks (and sounds) fantastic.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I thought "Evita" looked very good - much better than the DVD. "Sister Act" could be better (though in the theater it didn't look that great) - but I think it also looks better than the DVD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Does Disney also own the tv show version of the Frog Prince?
I see that Imdb calls it Tales from Muppetland: The Frog Prince (1971)
I don't think there was ever a home video version of it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by TonyD /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012/60#post_3942252
Does Disney also own the tv show version of the Frog Prince?
I see that Imdb calls it Tales from Muppetland: The Frog Prince (1971)
I don't think there was ever a home video version of it.

I vaguely remember there being a video of this and other early Muppet specials in the 1980s.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Disney released The Frog Prince and a couple other early Muppet specials under the "Muppet Home Video" banner in the early 80's.
http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/43430/806-AS/Hey-Cinderella!-%281970%29
http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/00564/805-AS/Frog-Prince-%281971%29
http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/03068/807-AS/Muppet-Musicians-of-Bremen-%281972%29
RCA used the Muppetland banner for their own Videodisc releases of the same.
http://www.lddb.com/search.php?search=muppetland&sort=title

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Maybe I missed the news somewhere here (or I just forgot about it), but Amazon has a listing for a Cinderella II/III two pack (BD and DVD) on November 20.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BRC5WA/ref=s9_qpp_gw_p74_d23_g74_ir05?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1KB70V4DB11XZN1YSATX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
...And it looks like Great Mouse Detective has been pushed back two weeks to October 9. Release date was September 18; Amazon sent me an e-mail and changed their listing to October 9. Disney.com hasn't quite caught up with the news yet...if it's actually true.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
One more title has been pushed back. "Pete's Dragon" originally slated for October 2nd, is now October 16th.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Mark-P /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012/60#post_3975015
One more title has been pushed back. "Pete's Dragon" originally slated for October 2nd, is now October 16th.

Good. October 2 was looking MASSIVELY expensive. It still is, but this is a little bit better.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Still waiting for Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Happiest Millionaire, both preferably done right with the requisite extras. I think extras were left off Millionaire for disc space previously, they have a premiere featurette and I bet Warren and Davidson did commentaries back whey they did them for Family Band. Millionaire could do seamless branching for long and short versions... so could Bedknobs.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012/60#post_3981395
Still waiting for Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Happiest Millionaire, both preferably done right with the requisite extras. I think extras were left off Millionaire for disc space previously, they have a premiere featurette and I bet Warren and Davidson did commentaries back whey they did them for Family Band. Millionaire could do seamless branching for long and short versions... so could Bedknobs.

The short versions of both have been on Hallmark Movie Channel in HD. Hopefully the long versions will be included on their respective Blu-rays.

The last Bedknobs DVD dumbed down the extras to promote Wizards of Waverly Place; they even cut the short documentary about the film's making and reconstruction in half. For the Blu-ray, it would be nice to get Angela Lansbury and Richard Sherman involved on some level, and I would like to know what happened to the three children.

Millionaire was supposed to get a making-of bit on Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color, but the episode was scrapped after Walt died. He had filmed some host footage for it between the time of his cancer surgery and his death, and it recently turned up online:

Meanwhile, I'm also excited to learn Pollyanna will be coming out next year, according to the booklet in the Cinderella Blu-ray. The extras on the Vault Disney DVD were extensive and I hope they get ported over. It's a gorgeous film and the Blu-ray should look pretty darn good. Now that they're digging into the pre-1990s live action titles, I hope the transfers are up to snuff. Some of the DVDs were great, but others were awful (I won't bring

I've never seen the film, but I would like to see them restore the finished footage from The Black Cauldron that Eisner and Katzenberg forced them to cut. I've heard they cut at least 10 minutes of finished animation. Considering they couldn't be bothered to keep the seamless branching option on Pocahontas, I doubt they'll bother.

What do you think we'll get in 2013?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks