What's new

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will release more than 30 catalog titles on Blu-ray Disc in 2 (1 Viewer)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
This summer the studio will release Father of the Bride and Bringing Down the House May 15; The Color of Money, Cocktail and Ransom June 5; Sister Act and Evita June 19; and The Horse Whisperer, Under the Tuscan Sun, Phenomenon, Step Up, Home On The Range and Treasure Planet July 3.
This fall will see Adventures in Babysitting, Grosse Pointe Blank, Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion, The Rescuers, High Fidelity, Ed Wood, Judge Dredd, Ghost of the Abyss 3D, Lady And The Tramp 2: Scamp’s Adventure, Pocahontas, The Tigger Movie, The Aristocats and Pete’s Dragon.
Beginning in October Disney will release Hocus Pocus, Arachnophobia, The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Son of Flubber, Cold Creek Manor, The Santa Clause Trilogy, The Absent-Minded Professor, Flubber, While You Were Sleeping, Sweet Home Alabama, Beaches, Babes in Toyland, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Brother Bear and Dick Tracy.
I'm definitely in for the highlighted features, esp Grosse Point Blank, Ed Wood, and Dick Tracy. but where are the other great ones, like the aforementioned Mary Poppins, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and add in The Adventures of Davy Crockett and The Scarecrow of Rodney Marsh, to name just a few?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Again, regarding 20,000 Leagues, it's currently undergoing a restoration. We won't (and really shouldn't) see a Blu-ray release until that's finished.

And they wouldn't announce 20k or Mary Poppins as part of a group announcement like this anyway. They are far too big of titles to do so.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I think it is great that some of these lesser catalogue titles are being released by Disney, and were not licensed to Mill Creek.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Definitely some exciting news there, considering how shoddily some of these films were treated on DVD with non-anamorphic or MAR transfers. I understand the frustration of the paucity of Walt-era titles and the emphasis on Touchstone films, but a lot of them probably need restoration work. Some of them are obvious tie-ins to revivals (Evita) and stage versions (Sister Act), and some movies have anniversaries (Pete's Dragon and The Rescuers both turn 35 this year). Still, it's an effort to get catalog titles out, and I hope they get treated better on Blu-ray than a lot of them got treated on DVD.

Put me down for Pete's Dragon, The Rescuers, The Aristocats, The Absent-Minded Professor, Son of Flubber (why aren't those in a double feature?), Ed Wood, Sister Act, Evita and Hocus Pocus. I may even buy Beaches if only for "the Ballad of Otto Titsling."

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
trajan said:
Great news! HORSE WHISPERER--UNDER TUSCAN SUN --EVITA
Agree with these titles. The Horse Whisperer's DVD is terrible and does not conform to the 2 different aspect ratios as shown in theaters. Hope the upcoming Blu has this feature...

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
For all of you squawking about Mary Poppins not being part of this list, it was mentioned here that they are planning to release it in 2014 for it 50th anniversary. FINALLY we get a few Wall-era live-action movies. Maybe not the cream of the crop, but it's something. I'm definitely excited about Son of Flubber which has always been full-frame and cropped on all previous releases.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Mark-P said:
For all of you squawking about Mary Poppins not being part of this list, it was mentioned here that they are planning to release it in 2014 for it 50th anniversary. FINALLY we get a few Wall-era live-action movies. Maybe not the cream of the crop, but it's something. I'm definitely excited about Son of Flubber which has always been full-frame and cropped on all previous releases.
Same here. I'm not worried about Poppins. It'll come when the time is right. I'm thrilled about the Flubber movies. More Walt-era films on BluRay!

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Words can't describe how happy I am about GROSSE POINTE BLANK and HIGH FIDELITY. HDNet has started airing BLANK recently, and I was just wondering (hoping) that this meant a Blu-ray might be on the way...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Sign me up for several...most excited about Grosse Pointe Blank.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Why are people complaining about titles that are not on the list? Did you expect Disney to release the entirety of its back catalog in one go?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Ethan Riley said:
Why are people complaining about titles that are not on the list? Did you expect Disney to release the entirety of its back catalog in one go?
You're right. I suppose we should celebrate what we have....But, six years into the format it seems like Disney should have gotten around to what some think is the greatest live action movie they made when Walt himself was still alive.
[VIDEO]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhyuey4xU3Q[/VIDEO]

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I do agree that Disney has been very slow in getting out their
prized live-action library to Blu-ray.

On the other hand....

They have done a tremendous job getting their prized animated
titles out. They have also been one of the most active supporters
of the 3D format, releasing some of the best 3D titles of any other
studio. Their 3D releases are hard to beat in terms of presentation
quality.

Disney has done a fantastic job supporting Blu-ray -- you can't
argue that.

Other than Pete's Dragon, there is nothing in this list that really
excites me. I do agree that stuff like Mary Poppins and 20,000
Leagues will probably not be lumped into this list. In other words,
I am hoping we will be surprised by an announcement sooner than
later.

Ronald Epstein said:
I do agree that Disney has been very slow in getting out their
prized live-action library to Blu-ray.
On the other hand....
They have done a tremendous job getting their prized animated
titles out.  They have also been one of the most active supporters
of the 3D format, releasing some of the best 3D titles of any other
studio.  Their 3D releases are hard to beat in terms of presentation
quality.
Disney has done a fantastic job supporting Blu-ray -- you can't
argue that.
Other than Pete's Dragon, there is nothing in this list that really
excites me.  I do agree that stuff like Mary Poppins and 20,000
Leagues will probably not be lumped into this list.  In other words,
I am hoping we will be surprised by an announcement sooner than
later.
It would be nice if they would alternate a classic live action film with the animated ones now and then, rather than just the latter.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I guess that's what bugs me. Their animated films sell in the hundreds of thousands or millions of copies on blu-ray at premium prices. In other words, those titles are guaranteed to be profitable no matter how much they spend on restoring them and recoloring them for blu-ray. But when it comes to a title that's more iffy in terms of sales, like 20,000 Leagues, they seemingly haven't gotten around to it yet. 250 million for John Carter? Sure. But half a million for 20,000 leagues, not yet seemingly....

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wonder if 20,000 Leagues will be released in 2014 for its 60th anniversary. If they're doing a load of work on it, it may not be ready 'till next year anyway, so they can sit on it for a year. I have happy memories of seeing Babes In Toyland, but being 61 I've probably outgrown it. I like Judge Dredd, I wonder if the new version will as good.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by John Hermes /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012/30#post_3907822
It would be nice if they would alternate a classic live action film with the animated ones now and then, rather than just the latter.
EXACTLY.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks