WalMart to start selling Linux PCs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Kleist, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Heard on the radio that they were going to start selling PCs with the "Lindows" variant on them. Hey, think of how many 6-packs Joe can buy saving all that scratch from a Windows license [​IMG] And how many calls to tech support he can buy [​IMG]

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I thought I heard this a while back...

3. DougRogers

DougRogers Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I heard it a month or two ago but I don't shop for my computers at Wal-Mart so I don't know if they do or not. I have installed several versions of Linux before and I can't believe that "Lindows" could be much easier. I could be wrong and probably am but, I think they are asking for trouble. People around here are going to want to install Deer Hunter on their PC and won't be able to do so. Then they will have rednecks standing out front with hunting rifles. Not a pretty sight.

Doug

4. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

The "Lindows" distribution has debuted to bad reviews. The distribution is minimal, and the company charges $99/year for access to a software library that contains proprietary installation packages for Linux-based applications.

I think buyers of these PCs will either return them (if they are not computer-savvy) or wipe the hard disk and install their OS of choice (a copy of Windows they already own, or a different Linux distribution).

5. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    If you look at Walmart.com they are already selling several PC models without any OS at all!!!
    If I didn't build my own I would be very happy that I didn't have to automatically purchase a license for an OS that either I didn't want or already owned.