What's new

Walmart HD-DVD Impact (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

And you're right they don't have the lowest prices on everything. They have the lowest prices on things they think will get people in the door. If they decide that HD DVD will get people in the door they will pressure electronics companies and the movie studios to provide what Walmart wants.

I'm not saying that they will do it. In fact I doubt that HD DVD is something they will jump on unless a buyer at Walmart just has a wild hair. But they surely could do it if they wanted too.

Doug

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
And that's the problem BD has to face. It only gets support from Warner and Paramount: the same studios that support HD DVD. And Sony of course.

The rest of the "support" does not look too concrete, really. Until today only two or three occasional releases. Which really needs to change if it's supposed to make a difference. The quality is there, the quantity hardly.

(Not speaking of supporting a lossless codec in practice.)

Cees

Winman42

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Winston
Hmmm, lots of good points being bandied about. lets remember that Walmart sells a good amount of HD sets. And here in my suburb of LV, my tiny local BLOCKBUSTER rents a nice selection of both HD formats, not to mention Netflix.
They literally have 1 disc of each format for SALE, but have easily 35 different discs for rental, so purchases are not necessary at the moment.
WIn

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Retailers like Walmart pretty much have a large control over the manufacturers and distributers. It is the way retail works, especially when you are the largest retailer in the market.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
None of the studios ever were. We all know that if these formats are around for a while they all start to support both, sans Sony supporting HD-DVD. Their loosing money if they don't.

But price is still a huge factor for the average joe adopting these formats, we really need to see prices drop by at least 50% before these formats go anywhere no matter if Wally sells a $99 HD-DVD or Blu-ray player.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

:laugh:

Not bad but I think we need to reevaluate your list.

Milk Beer
Bread Beer
Chips
Cheese
The Matrix HD DVD

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Cees,

I believe Fox and Disney have released quite a few Blu-ray titles (relative to the total number of all Blu-ray releases) and certainly more than Paramount has released. I haven't done a count on Paramount, but my guess is they are the weakest support to date?

With that being said, I've been quite disappointed in Fox and Paramount, but Disney seems to be doing a decent job with quantity (again, based on the context of overall releases. I wish BOTH formats had more quantity!).

I'm also disappointed with Warner - Blu-ray having been out for almost a year now offically - and we still have a fair number of non BD-J Warner titles still not even announced on Blu-ray. (This, in addition, to some Blu-ray titles not having lossless audio while the HD DVD version does has made me suspicious of Warner's Blu-ray support. I have no doubt they are biased for HD DVD.)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

You mean, like this:

Milk Beer Ale
Bread Beer IPA
Chips
Cheese
The Matrix HD DVD

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Total of Fox 26 titles (available), only one announced for the next months.
Paramount approx. 32 titles, of which 11 announced for release within 2 or three months.

Paramount's support certainly isn't weaker in this respect.

Cees

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
are you saying fox have released 25 titles on bd, while paramount have released 21? announced titles can always change as we have seen...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes.

It could. But Paramount is not in the habit.
The numbers were merely used to reply to the thought that Paramount's "support" was really much weaker, although I subscribe to Dave's remark that Fox and Paramount are a bit disappointing.

(Where's The Godfather in HD? :) )

Cees

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
has it ever been broadcast in highdef? it's been a while since i last watched it, but there were a number of stock footage shots which might be slightly jarring when set against the (at the time) freshly shot film. even in sd (pal) it wasn't too clever, though i love the film inspite of these little blemishes.

back on topic, it would be foolish to think walmart selling cheaper hd dvd players wouldn't have an impact on the us highdef format battle. how much of an impact will be determined by when they are released, how much they sell for, and what other players on either format have been released in the meantime. kinda feel like i'm stating the obvious, but what ya gonna do!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

How about Disney?

Still, based on what's actually available on the shelves today, Fox is ahead of Paramount.

Rob Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
And don't forget Fox titles are priced too high. Basic catalog titles at 28 bucks a pop at Amazon? Please.

I like the quality of the discs I have but IMO Fox is by far the worst of the studios releasing on these formats.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
You left this part off...

What's that saying about candy and nuts and having a Merry Christmas?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

Still looking like the translation might be inaccurate. Probably don't want to hold our breath while we wait for a solid story on this.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
No matter what Wally does Blu will not just roll over and die, not this far into the game. If this happens it will be interesting to see what Blu does to counter attack. Still, Wally does not have the power to make a format win, or lose.

The HD-DVD software needs to be priced 50% less then it is now before the majority of Wally shoppers start buying, that is what will drive this format to the finishing line, not low cost players. Most of your Wally shoppers aren't there to spend $25 on a movie, they can't afford it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks