WalMart does it again...The Princess Diaries P&S only

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Paynter, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Damn their oily hides, they invested in a huge p.o.p. display full of P&S VHS and DVD - not a single WS DVD in sight.

"The screwballs have spoken."

- Roger Meyer Jr.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Costco also only had P&S only copies, despite their website only showing WS!!
    [​IMG]

3. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Suncoast only had the WS version. Looks like mass merchandisers are going with P&S.

4. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I had the opposite experience. I went to Wal-Mart and they had about 33% Widescreen, but the price was $20. I went to Circuit City next (where the price was $18), and they only had P&S. I talked to the head salesguy and said "oh, you must have sold out of the widescreen, huh?" and he said they never stocked the widescreen. So off to Best Buy I went, and they had about 50% widescreen (at the $18 price). Circuit City is a tad closer for me, but if I can't count on them to stock the widescreen versions of movies, I will always (literally) drive the extra mile to Best Buy and pick up ALL my movies there, approx 10 per month.

5. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Though not interested in this title, I have to say again, this is what happens when the Beverly Hillbillie's buy DVD players.

At least Disney did produce two different versions of this films for both markets. Unlike alot of current titles that are being issued currently, say from Trimark that the mainstream population has no interest in to begin with releasing films only in Pan & Scan.

What is the saddest thing about the entire releasing efforts of some of these major studios are they are forgetting the people that made DVD what it is now...namely us, the Pro-OAR.

6. Matt Bloxham

Matt Bloxham Agent

I work at a Wal-Mart in Albuquerque, and I put out most of the new releases at 12:01am (we are 24hrs). I took the pallet to the floor and opened it up. Sure enough 1/3 widescreen, the rest P&S and VHS. As has been mentioned before on this forum, the store does not order the displays it is done buy the home office.

7. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

I saw the display at my Wal-Mart and it was 40% WS. There were five columns of DVDs and two were WS. I promptly took a stack from the WS column and switched around some of the Non-OAR so that the WS was in front.

I was pleasantly surprised as I thought WM would only get non-OAR.

8. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

Just came back from WalMart. They actually had WS copies out!
    JPIII, on the other hand [​IMG]

9. Keith Paynter

I'm smirking with a bit of satisfaction tonite, becuase as I visted WalMart tonight for some unrelated purchases, I happened to notice that while all VHS copies of TPD wer virtually gone from the visible dispaly side, virtually all copies of the P&S DVD remain on the shelf!

10. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Our Wal-Mart had 50/50 split on their big TPD display. I honestly don't think Wal-Mart bashing is appropiate, because we always get a fair split between the two at ours. Perhaps with Wal-Mart, what formats get ordered is more the jurisdiction of local management than a corporate decision ala Blockbuster.

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The Murphy, NC Super Wally World had both...

But just full screen JP, TLW, C&D, Wonka, AP (R), and the two Mummy crap jars.

12. Keith Paynter

It is definitely not up to local management - there are regional purchasers who decide what to buy, since it appears that so many regions buy their quantities and combinations differently. Just like Blockbuster, their 'market reasearch' (which is just a buzzword for a consultant) influences what they buy.

It is part of our mission statement (as it were) to be pro-OAR. The only way to keep that from disappearing is to expose where the dumbing down of DVD occurs - big box stores, mass-market retailers and big chain video rentals.

No two regions (heck, no two cities) are similar in what they'll stock, we just have to expose them for what they are doing to obliterate (and fail to educate) widescreen from the public.

13. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

Notice the trend?

KIDS MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

14. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Same experience at my local Circuit City. The ironic thing is, their DVD display is directly across the aisle from their Widescreen RPTV's... I brought this to the attention of the sales clerk who I don't think even understood the irony. I then asked to speak to a manager. When she finally appeared, I asked her what she tells the people who just spent $5000+ on a widescreen TV and picked up a copy of The Princess Diaries on the way out, then come back an hour later furious that THE DREADED BLACK BARS are still there... only now they moved to the sides!

They claim also they have no say in what versions they get, but I asked her to please pass my sentiments on to their regional buyer that if a title is available in both formats and they are only going to choose one, please choose widescreen!

I went across the street to Best Buy afterwards to find the WS version and they were packed! About 60 people lined up single file in a velvet roped area being directed to one cashier at a time... this in contrast to the empty Circuit City... hmmm... coincidence? I think not.

15. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Hmm my local store had this and JP3 (which I picked up there) in widescreen. It was about 33% of the total stock for each title that was widescreen. Complain as you may about Wal-Mart but in the pre-dvd days there was zero shot of picking up a widescreen VHS there. They may be hurting the OAR cause in some ways, but in other ways they have made a major improvement over past practices.

J

16. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Today on my lunch break I dropped by a local Wal-Mart and picked up Princess Diaries for my wife. They had P&S and Widescreen versions. I went back by there after getting off work (1.5 hours later) and there were hardly any widescreen versions left, but plenty of P&S remained.