Walmart Buys VUDU (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/wal-mart-is-buying-vudu/

BENTONVILLE, Ark., Feb. 22, 2010 -- Walmart announced today a definitive agreement to acquire VUDU, Inc., a leading provider of digital technologies and services that enable the delivery of entertainment content directly to broadband high-definition TVs and Blu-ray players. The deal is expected to close within the next few weeks.

VUDU has licensing agreements with almost every major movie studio and dozens of independent and international distributors to offer approximately 16,000 movies, including the largest 1080p library of video on-demand movies available anywhere. Via their broadband Internet connection, users have the ability to rent or buy titles and begin viewing them instantly.

Well that certainly shakes things up.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I have Vudu built into my Vizio TV, but I won't be using it now that the money's going to Wal-Mart. Already they've removed the adult movie section and haven't even replaced it with an equal number of 'clean' titles, they still have a few NC-17 rated movies so those will probably be gone soon as well. There's already enough reason to boycott Wal-Mart, but this might finally do it for me. It's like when Blockbuster took over a video store near me, and started taking movies they didn't like off the shelves.

Al_S

Second Unit
I have a Vudu box and also have an LG Blu-ray player with Vudu and love it. Vudu is just so convenient and easy to use. The HDX quality is pretty close to Blu-ray and that's all I can stand to watch anymore. I have rented like 8 movies in the past month or so. I also have Netflix streaming but the quality can be lacking and you have to place movies in your queue first which I really hate doing. Netflix also doesn't have movies available right away like Vudu does. Vudu has traliers for most movies which is a great thing. I wish Amazon and Netflix did that directly from my Tivo or Blu-ray player. You pay for convenience and Vudu is #1 when it comes to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks