Wallmounting Paradigms...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TommyL, Jan 25, 2003.

1. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Good evening all[​IMG] I have now chosen studio 40's for my mains...but am on the fence about the surrounds/rears...Can you mount studio 20's flush against a wall? What kind of space would you need for the 40's (behind) ...2 easy questions that I can't find the answer too[​IMG] I may just get 4 40's and be done with it...thanks all! tom

2. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

The 40's and 20's are rear ported. I would not suggest mounting on a wall but it can be done. I use the adp's just for that reason. I had to mount them kind of high but would suggest 5ft to the tweeter. I also have them to the sides of my listening position. If I were to buy all over I probably would go with 20's behind my couch on high stands.

3. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

Flush against a wall isn't a great idea, as discussed. The B-Tech BT77 mount will accomodate a Studio/20. The Studio/40 is about 1.5" taller than the recommended height for that mount, though.

4. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Tommy check out my site, go to home theatre and check out september 6th, I have 4 studio 40's. I built shelves for them. The surrounds are on their sides, with about 6" space behind them. The fronts have about 10" space behind. This works really well, nothing seems boomy or muffled. I played some deep bass songs and put my hand behind to see if there was any feel of air movement and nothing was evident at these spaces. Plus they are run as small so less bass is sent to them.

They are heavy suckers. 40lbs each spaker, so some serious screws into studs is needed. The one shelf I used 2 anchors and they ripped out (LARGE anchors too). I had to enlarge the shelf width wise to get a stud. Then no problems.

5. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Great! thanks for the info guys! Man, these decisions are killin me[​IMG] I use the sr8200 marantz to run my current speakers, but I wonder if I should add an external amp to run the mains...James, what amp do you use and how do you like it? I think the rear surrounds(20's or 40's) should be fine being run by the marantz don't you? thanks for all the info! tom

6. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Tom, it depends on the soundtrack. I use a Denon 4800 which is a powerhouse of an amp, but I found if there was LOTS going on there was some compression. I upgraded my fronts to the denon POA-5200 which is an external power amp that matches the internals of the 4800. Much cleaner and more power for sure!

Using the 20's might give you more headroom, but 4 40's and a CC is a lot of speaker for a receiver alone.

7. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Thanks for the input...I'd like to upgrade to the anthem 20 and add a amp, but I'm in a bind having the sr8200...any thoughts/hearings of good amps for this situation? At least it'll be a path to start on...I can use my ears for the rest[​IMG] Nice setup you have...tom

8. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I use a marantz sr-7000 for my paradigms. I have a anthem 2-channel at 200wattsx2 that I used for my studio 40's. The rest I used a 5-channel rotel. the anthem was a step up from the marantz, no doubt. better imaging and dynamics with a smoother high end. I was infact surprized at the rotel when I hooked it up to my 40's. even with its less power I found the sound a lot more balanced and real. a little more air(imaging) in the high end and not quite as foward midrange. goes good with the paradigms. So I don't use the anthem at all right now. the rotel is rated at 100wattsx5. probably add two more subs and use the anthem for them.