What's new

Wallace and Gromit - which version to get? (1 Viewer)

Roger Kint

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a fan of this claymation series, but don't know which to get...
1) Warner The Incredible Adventures of Wallace and Gromit -- DVD Clamshell
2) Fox Wallace & Gromit: The First Three Adventures (1990-1995) (1996) -- DVD Keep Case

Chris M

Second Unit
Fox originally had the rights to BBC products like Wallace & Gromit, as well as Walking with Dinosaurs, but since then Warner has taken over the rights.

With WWD, I believe EVERYTHING is exactly the same, but with W&G, I believe the new Warner version is slightly different aside from the "Happy Birthday" music being changed due to rights issues, there are a couple extras. It is of course in a snapper case too.

I'm glad I got my Fox version when I did, but I wouldn't mind the extras that the Warner version has.

BTW, you can't get the Fox version anymore unless it's through E-bay(I would think).

Chris.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I've got both. I have the warner for the extras, but for just watching the shorts, I watch the fox dvd.

Roger Kint

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone. Well, since I can't get the Fox anymore, I guess the question is moot. At least I know the basic differences now.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The Fox DVD suffers from edge enhancement. The Warner is pretty much EE free, but may look softer to some eyes. The only drawback of the Warner for me is the replacement of the "Happy Birthday" song on The Wrong Trousers, and its not exactly the end of the world.

Regards,

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
For some previous discussion on the differences between the old Fox version and the newer Warner version, including links to some comparison screenshots, see this thread.

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
I personally have the older OOP version, but would still like to purchase/rent the newer disc, specifically for the commentaries included with Nick Park... That is major difference between the two versions, for me anyway... Don't know if they're outstanding, but it'd be great to hear if it's worth it... (hint, hint, comments please...)

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Those screen caps are gone now.

I personally prefer the Fox PQ. The Warner one seems to be sourced from video instead of film, despite what he says in the intro. The picture is very soft.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks