What's new

Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit! (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Not the usual place to have a bonk ... ;)

[For those who don't get it, 'bonk' in Brit slang means the same as another four letter word ending in 'k').

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
That's too bad, but at least no one was hurt. And Park has the right attitude about it. :emoji_thumbsup:

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
Did anyone else think the vicar looked like Palpatine from Star Wars? He even sounded like him and I wondered if Ian McDiarmid had done the voice, but the credits listed someone else.

Carl_G

Stunt Coordinator
Saw it last night with my son. It was good, but I dread the theater experience so much now that I kept looking at my watch.

Anyone else catch the claymation Kenny from South Park? In the fair crowd scene, where the crowd is looking at the camera, bottom row bit left of center. When the crowd scatters, he falls down and we don't see him get up. Green hooded kid with the hood drawn tight around face. It was very subtle, but clearly Kenny.

I was almost expecting something like 'Buggers, they've offed little Kenny' 'You wankers!'

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Not if you wanted a 'U' certificate (i.e. suitable for all ages) in the UK. 'Bugger' is not a particularly offensive swear word in UK english, but 'wanker' definitely is, and definitely not a word you'd say in front of Lady Tottington.

Incidentally, does the remark 'call me Totty' translate into US english as it does in the UK? 'Totty' in British slang basically means a sexually attractive (and relatively easily available) person.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Saw this on Friday. Very sweet and funny film.

The penguin Christmas cartoon at the beginning wasn't good. Trying way too hard to be funny. And its October!

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Great film, made slightly tragic because I saw it so soon after the story of the warehouse fire.

One Brit bit of humour that most Americans will miss entirely is the gag with "The Observer's Book Of Monsters". (There were Observer's books available for years on anything from British Birds to Aircraft and even an edition on Observer's Books!) Being a Monty Python fan from "across the pond" I first heard of the series thanks to the Fairy Tale Sketch from "Monty Python's Previous Record" (and one of the lost German Episodes), where one suitor, Prince Charming, was was mentioned in "The Observer's Book Of Princes", while another (Prince Walter, sounding a lot like Ken Shabby) was even mentioned in the Foreword(!)

What will remain for possible DVD supplements now that all the sets and archives were destroyed remains to be seen, but I plan to buy the disc anyway...

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Keith: According to the articles I've read, nothing related to the Wallace and Gromit movie was destroyed in the Aardman warehouse fire.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

'One' bit? The movie is riddled with references that only Brits will get. I think it's revenge for all those jokes about American culture in Police Squad, Airplane, etc. Trust me, lines like 'I threatened to put him on the Montgomery Ward mailing list' mean nothing outside the USA.

In the interests of fostering better Anglo-American relations, I'm happy to 'translate' the more arcane references.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Yes, there are more, Andrew - I didn't mean to imply that was the only one, but that one stuck out like a sore thumb to me...

I've been surrounded by all manner of Britcom over the years - Python, Goodies, Red Dwarf, and BBC radio shows like Goons, ISIRTA and ISIHAC just to name a few...now if I could only get the hang of Mornington Crescent!!

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

The ease with which you can pick up the rules rather depends on whether you are playing the original or revised version ...

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Saw the movie yesterday, and I loved it. I had never seen any W&G before either. Ravi K mentioned the Madagascar penguin cartoon as not being too funny, and I think that does point to what makes the writing of W&G so successful. The humor comes from a balance between character and slapstick, where the situations are funny because the characters are already endearing. The penguin thing is more like "wouldn't it be funny if we showed randomly odd human things, but with...penguins!" A military commando squad with a ninja isn't automatically funny just by virtue of being penguins. But W&G establishes a great landscape with its characters, first of all, and then the humor just grows out of that, so it ends up being naturally funny instead of forced.

No, it's not a slang term that us Yanks are familiar with, generally speaking. I did see it as an entry on a Brit-slang website recently, and I remembered it because the description pointed out how British soccer fans are always chuckling whenever a televised game involves the veteran Italian player Francesco Totti.

I liked how one of the establishing photos on their wall at the beginning showed Gromit graduating from Dogwarts Academy.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Totty? Surely you've heard of 'testy totty' Haggai? hmmm? ;)

Yeah I didn't think Wallace & Gromit would work as a full length feature, okay 75min feature, but it worked splendidly, far better than the other British animation effort this year, Valiant, anyone see that? Good cgi wasted on rubbish script, and dare I say better than Corpse Bride, well it was far funnier, Corpse Bride was meant to be funny right? :D

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I saw the film last night, and thought it was very good. Gromit's facial expressions, of course, are always a delight: one hardly ever sees a good silent-movie actor anymore, and plasticine is a wonderful medium for it. I think I caught about 50% of the in-jokes, but -- unlike so many contemporary American productions -- it would have been plenty amusing even if I had missed them all. The action tests the limits of stop-motion, and one must admit the animation does not always quite rise to the challenge, but it always makes a good effort and is an overall success. As with all of Nick Park's work, the visual detail and richness are beyond lush: everything is precisely executed, down to the electric nut-driver with the yellow label reading "Botch". And, although the pace and tone aren't quite as non-stop as the earlier [shorter] adventures, "Curse of the Were-Rabbit" fills its hour-and-a-half very nicely. I enjoyed this picture heartily.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Really? Personally, I never had any doubt that it could work as a full length feature. The thing about the Wallace and Gromit shorts is that they are astonishingly cinematic, and so it was just a question of finding a story that would need the extra time available in a feature. And they found the story. I also liked that the fact that it is a feature allowed the space to slow down a little bit and just enjoy that characters and te world a bit more. The shorts can feel terribly frantic at times, simply because of how much is packed into them in only 30 minutes. The feature was perfectly timed.

Great film, and it lived up to the anticipation - which is pretty good when you've been looking forward to a film for 8 or so years.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The cover for Nun Wrestling magazine was worth the price of this DVD by itself.

Man, did I get a great laugh from that.Im considering it for my sign below, but not sure if itll offend anyone. Funny.

Gromit is just so pleasant to watch. I havent seen the other shorts in years, so Im gonna look them up.

I really enjoyed this!Big:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks