What's new

Wall Unit Help (1 Viewer)

Tony C.

Auditioning
Hi all im new to posting but read them often.

I am currently in the process building a wall unit for my
home theater room. I have looked at many but they seem very flimsy and most use glass that might rattle. So I came to the conclusion of builing my own out of 2x4s and sheetrock materials. Its more like a in wall system. I have seen it dont in model homes before.

My question is has anyone attempted to do this before and what materials and results they got.

Thanks

Todd Shore

Stunt Coordinator
Model homes are meant to look good, not last. I would think about using something other than drywall for wear surfaces such as shelves and openings.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Tony,

I've done a similar project as built-in bookshelves within my house. Basically, it was constructed as follows:

1) Built a 2"x4" frame to serve as a skeleton of the cabinet.
2) The back of the shelving unit is regular wallboard.
3) The inside sides of the cabinet are plywood with 5/8" grooves that were routed to accept shelf "standards" so the shelves could be adjusted.
4) The outside corners of the shelving unit are constructed of drywall which matches up to the existing walls.
5) The shelves of the unit itself were made out of plywood with a routed edge on the front - for decoration.
6) The face of the cabinet was trimmed with fluted wood and rosette corner blocks - this concealed the area where the drywall and the plywood sides met each other.

Here is a picture of my work: My built-in cabinets

Also, I did something with base cabinets which house my audio gear below the bookshelves in my family room:

Family Room

Finally, the cabinets below my TV houses my audio/video gear along with some storage for CDs, DVDs, etc.

Opened cabinet

Tony C.

Auditioning
Man very nice work. The biggest problem i have is i have vaulted ceilings. I am going to give it a shot and see whathappens. Ill post my adventure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks