Wall Street Journal reports Priority Mail slower than regular mail

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kim, May 29, 2002.

1. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I've never sent any post through Priority Mail. Generally, I've only seen pretty fast times when using standard mail.
    Well, at least I won't feel a tinge of regret when I don't spring for faster postage.
    WSJ findings via Star Tribune

2. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Forgot to add,

A friend who works for the USPS confided in me that the once highly vaunted 4 digit postal code after you zip code actually slows down your post.

I forgot why...I think it's because of the additional info that needs to be processed.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

When ordering DVDs and other media, however, I've found USPS priority mail gets my precious haul to me much more quickly than USPS media mail--by upwards to two weeks.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Jack, Media Mail vs Priority isn't what they're comparing - media mail is 'designed' to be slow, it's cheap & cheerful & will definitely get to you much slower than vs priority or even regular mail.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Yea media mail is about as bad as it gets. One member here tried to send me something via MM and it *never* arrived. [​IMG] He was nice enough to give me a full refund but that's just a shame.

6. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

IN my experience USPS Priority Mail gets my new DVDs to me significantly faster than UPS can.

7. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Having worked at the post office, I found that Priority Mail was treated exactly the same as other 1st class items.

It came in in the same carts, and was sorted at the same time. If it was slower at all, this is due to the fact that it is often oversized, and thus can't be left in the conventional mailbox but may need to be picked up.

Media mail/book mail and other cheap means of shipping items usually mean the delivery is send only via ground. 1st class/Priority and higher rates are often shipped by air, being loaded into airliners at the airport.

Bulk rate flyers and other junk mail is often just delivered on a pallet, and is tackled by the employees once the other stuff has been attended to.

8. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

While I didn't read the WSJ article, I'd be curious to know what they compared. If you're mailing something to a nearby destination, regular mail is usually quicker. But if you're mailing something from Boston to L.A., I'd almost guarantee that Priority Mail is much faster. This, by the way, is something the USPS has always admitted to. Also, the delivery guarantee is from post office to post office. So if you go to your local branch and mail a package to a friend in Oregon, they guarantee that it will arrive at his local branch in 2-3 days--they don't guarantee that it will actually arrive at the destination address in that time.

One thing I'd like to add is that this topic came up on the radio a few years ago. Several postal employees called in, and while they all agreed that Priority Mail was not always the fastest, they did state that it was generally much safer than regular mail. They stated that more attention is given it due to it being a premium service, and that carriers and other workers will usually take better care of Priority Mail packages than the regular mail. This prompted a quick call to the show by the local postmaster who claimed that all mail is treated well. Under pressure, though, he admitted that more care is given to the PM packages.