What's new

Wall Street Journal on Mad Mad World Restore (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
You should absolutely purchase the current version. MGM's decision to finance the restoration will come from the perceived market for the film. They feel that any sale of the current version will ALSO be a sale for the new version. The more people who buy it now will help convince them to pony up the cash that RAH needs to do this project.
Good point! Okay.

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Another copy of IAMMMMW sold :)
Ron, "brain fart". I've never heard that expression before, good stuff....had me chuckling :laugh:

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm definitely going to buy the current DVD to show my support for this project.

It would be nice to see the LD-only footage included, perhaps via seamless branching!.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
While we're grail hunting, here's a great potential extra when the DVD of the restored version is released (ihope, ihope, ihope...)

How about finding the two hour episode of Jerry Lewis' short-lived talk show that coincided with the LA premiere of the film and featured many of the stars talking about the movie, as well as a running gag about how Jerry wasn't invited to participate.

Then, near the end of the evening, Jerry suggests that maybe a little bit of footage could be shot with him and some way could be found to include it in the movie. All of this a setup, of course, for Lewis' brief cameo with Spencer Tracy's hat.

It's a great document for inclusion on the DVD....

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
My Mad World history...

When it opened in San Diego, it was already cut, although the Overture and Intermission music was intact. At that time, I didn't know anything about a roadshow longer version. I think it played for about a year at the big theater, and my then current girlfriend and I must have seen it 15 times. It became one of my favorite current films.

Many years later, I bought the first video release of the film. I also bought the mono, pan and scan version laser when it came out. One of the reasons I bought that awful RCA CED disc system was they were the first to present the film in stereo.

When the deluxe laser, letterbox version came out I was delighted beyond words. And to have additional footage was a dream come true.

In reviewing recently the laser version, for me, about 80% of the added footage I find funny and adds to the film's enjoyment. However, I do feel some of the "dividing up the bounty" sequences go on too long in the longer version. Some of the gags seem repeated so I think some of this added stuff maybe alternate takes with different "ad libs". Also, there is a scene with Winters and Dorthy Provine that seems awkward, so I assume that little bit was not in the original cut.

When I got the DVD, I was not only disppointed in the title background colors, but most of all, the missing Overture. I knew it was the shorter version, but I bought it for the extra clarity and the 5.1 sound.

I have heard that the original music stems survive and it would be great to have the actual music only track included with any new DVD that may come out. The soundtrack album was a rerecord with a much reduced orchestra.

Anyway, knowing that Robert Harris is behind this effort is very comforting to me. Not only will we get a great version on DVD, but it will be restored in a way that it can have another theatrical showing. Living in Los Angeles, I can only hope and pray.

John Fieldstadt

Stunt Coordinator
WOW! This is one of the most interesting threads that I have read in awhile. I just wanted to log in to register my support to Mr. Harris and Ron. Great job guys and keep up the good work. I can't wait to see how this all works out.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I have a copy of IAMMMMW on laser disc and the DVD. To see a comparison of the DVD and the actual film frame visit this page from my Cinerama web site - Link Removed
I saved an article from a magazine that reviewed the laser disc. It mentioned that they did not put all the scenes they had on film on the laser disc. They thought some of them needed too much restoration before they could put them on the laser disc.
I will definitely purchase a roadshow version DVD just to hear the intermission track that Mr. Harris found.
I met Mr. Harris at a Tweeter store in Avon, CT. He was there talking about the restoration of films. He passed out 70mm films frames from My Fair Lady. A very nice person!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Sorry about that. It should be Link Removed without the period at the end.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Re the Keaton footage. Maybe tons is an overstatement; I've not seen the roadshow version (sue me, I was 3), and I was going off the description of the missing footage in Jim Klein's The Films of Buster Keaton, which definitely makes it sound as if he was supposed to have been one of the major characters instead of a mere cameo. Klein's description also makes it sound as if most of the cut footage involved Keaton, but that could just be wishful thinking on his part.

I do look forward to hearing what Mr Harris has come up with, though, regardless, and I'm very stoked to hear that MGM is supportive of the project. Let's just hope it can get under way before they get sold or the regime otherwise changes again.

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Roland, perhaps I don't know what I'm talking about, but could that simply be a result of overscanning?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Most Ultra Panavision films were converted to 35mm to 2.55:1 with the sides getting cropped.

Mad World is probably best seen at the full 2.76:1 ratio since you can tell that the film was not shot "2.55:1 safe" since characters on the sides get cut off.

I might get the current DVD after all...I already have the letterboxed "restored" VHS set, so what's 10 bucks going to matter to me (besides helping this film get restored)?

Brian-W

Screenwriter
With camera in hand, I intend to take as many pictures possible of the work that is being done
Is there any remote chance that these photos (of any of the film prints, cans, etc. and their condition) could be included in a Restoration Process section on the DVD when re-released? I think it would be great to see this 'historical' find winds up from trash dumps to fully restored film. To me this is Raiders of the Lost Ark stuff, and makes me appreciate a film that much more. Very intimate behind the scenes work.
Anyone else feel this way?
Now all that's needed is a HTF Trash-dig party to hopefully find the rest.
-brian

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
To see a comparison of the DVD and the actual film frame visit this page from my Cinerama web site
The 70mm frame with it's brightness and lighter color certainly looks more like the film as I remember seeing it in Cinerama. I was struck at the time by how bright the picture was. Looks like the DVD picture was toned down to create a look more similar to todays coloring.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Roland, perhaps I don't know what I'm talking about, but could that simply be a result of overscanning?
I think the DVD came from a 35mm print so, it would crop the sides of the 70mm Ultra Panavision 2.76:1 print to fit on the 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I'm still amazed that no one bothered to get MGM's attention regarding the missing Overture as something they needed to fix in the same way that Fox fixed "Cleopatra" with regard to the Exit Music that was originally missing and then thankfully restored.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
This is interesting and I am glad this footage was saved.

I wonder if this MAD WORLD film was from the cutting of the 12 or whatever 70mm prints.

If any of those editors that cut the 70mm footage from the roadshow prints to the shorter length are around or have traceable names, perhaps one of them just pocketed the cut portions.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jeff,

What you have posted concerns me.

You have used this forum to post blatant

accusations against an individual who cannot

defend themselves here.

In essesnce, you are posting a one-sided story

that none of us can confirm.

I am going to politely ask that you cease

posting such accusations.

What you posted will remain for the time being

until we can decide whether it is appropriate

for this forum.

Thank You

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks