What's new

Wall Plates? Sub Woofer (1 Viewer)

StuSm

Auditioning
1. Where is the best place to position the the sub woofer?

2. When you wire your speakers inside the walls what kind of wall plates are you using where your speaker wires enter the wall and where they come out of the wall.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Welcome to the Forum, Stu!

Typically the best place for a subwoofer is in a corner that is not near any openings, but you might experiment with other locations, especially if you don’t intend to equalize the sub.

I didn’t use any wall plates at all for my speakers. I left enough slack to run the cable to the speaker. For a cover I used a blank plate and drilled a hole in it. This method is much cheaper (blank plates are only about 50c apiece) and there are no extra connections between the amp and speaker that could potentially cause problems (each connector wall plate adds four additional termination points per speaker).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Stu.

People like the enhanced sound long-walls give a subwoofer for movies. So the corner with the longest, un-broken walls is usually favored.

A music system is about accuracy so the over-reflected sound of corner-loading bothers some. A 1/3 or 3/5 position along the longest wall works better for music.

Check the "Speakers and Subwoofers" fourm for more subwoofer placement advice.

I agree with Wayne about the wall plates. Using blank plates gives you the best technical connection (un-broken), but you can always install plates with binding posts later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks