Wall plates for spk. and coax runs. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carson E, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Carson E

Carson E Agent

Hi:
    My Electrician ran me a couple boxes for speaker and coax runs. One box with a 1" pvc for 3 runs of 12ga speaker wire and another 1" box for 2 coax runs and 1 phone line. What kind of face plate can I use to close the box after I run the wires? My only thought was maybe a phone cover and drill the hole out to fit.(?)
    I looked over the Home Depot site but only saw a spring clip type speaker cover for maybe 16ga wire. Not much else.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated since this is my first experience with building from ground up.
    Thanks,
    Carson...

2. Chris Sigua

Chris Sigua Stunt Coordinator

Are these the standard gang boxes? Try the Leviton Quick-ports. You can add whatever end you need (banana plugs, F-type, RJ-11..). I got these at Home Depot so maybe you'll have to look around to find them. Here's a picture of them:
    http://www.smarthome.com/8559.html

3. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

Carson,
    To follow up on Chris' reply, Home Depot does sell the Leviton Quick-Ports, but they don't show them on their website.
    Take a look at this site for pictures of the various connectors available.
    I'm currently using the 5-way binding posts for my speaker connections and they're every bit as good as the ones on my equipment. I also use RF and phone connectors and I'm very happy with the results.
    Stop by your local Home Depot and have a look...
    Chip

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

For looks, Niles makes some very nice face-plates with 5 way binding posts. You can see them at Good Guys and on the web.
    PS: Sounds like your installer did a honest job - seperating the speaker wires from the coax - It's what I would do.

5. Carson E

Carson E Agent

Chris, Chip, Bob... Big handshake. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the links and the info. I'll print these out and go back to HmDepot.
    This first timer really appreciates your help.
    Carson...