Wall Plates for Speaker hookups?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Christer W., Aug 11, 2003.

1. Christer W.

Christer W. Extra

I am trying to make my HT as clean looking as possible. For my speaker runs, I am thinking of terminating the in-wall runs to wall plates with banana plugs at each end.

Especially at the equipment end, rather than having this loom of wires (7.1 setup) coming out of one large hole, I will have instead 2 4-plug wall plates, nicely labeled.

The plugs and plates are not particularly expensive. The only concern I have is whether the introduction of two addtional connectors will have a noticeable effect on the sound.

Anyone done this?

2. JustinG

JustinG Stunt Coordinator

yep, I did the same thing for my inwall wiring.

At the receiver end, I have a 4 pair plate with the 5-way binding posts. These are for the 4 surround speakers. I use banana jacks from the receiver to connect to this plate.

On the speaker end, they're terminated with 1-pair 5way binding plate. Then I just ran wire from the speaker to the jack.

Also, my sub has it's own plate on either end. Looks great. Much bettter than having wires shooting out of the wall.

I found the 4 pair plates locally for $25-30 but I ordered the parts from partsexpress.com and built it for $15. Took like 2 minutes to assemble. You can build the 1 pair plates for under $5 a piece if you order off the internet. If you buy them in stores, you pay like $10/plate.

Good luck!

3. Kevin_Wadsworth

I'm using the Leviton Quickport connectors throughout my home and I can't tell any difference when using them compared to a direct run of speaker wire. However, this probably touches closely on the dreaded "are expensive speaker wires worthwhile" topic. In general, I think that as long as the electrical information is getting from the receiver to the speaker, you're in good shape.

4. Kevin_Wadsworth

I'm using the Leviton Quickport connectors throughout my home and I can't tell any difference when using them compared to a direct run of speaker wire. However, this probably touches closely on the dreaded "are expensive speaker wires worthwhile". In general, I think that as long as the electrical information is getting from the receiver to the speaker, you're in good shape.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Make good connections and go for it.

6. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

Your wall plate plan is fine! Parts Express is great!
    I've got photos of mine in my link. I used an aluminum plate for all the connectors I needed to mount at the rack end. Simply screwed it over a BIG open hole in the drywall so I'm using the wall cavity as a big box at that end.

Gordon

7. Jack_TN

Jack_TN Stunt Coordinator

I just bought some AR wall-plates from accessories4less. Very nice gold-plated binding posts and very resonable cost.

Jack