What's new

Wall Plates - Audio/Video cable impact ?? (1 Viewer)

JohnVV

Auditioning
When running A/V cables through the wall from and entertainment center area to monitor (~20'), is there a rule of thumb of when to use wall plates to terminate and patch individual cable runs? Does it vary by the type of cable?

For example, when running speaker wire from and A/V receiver, through the wall, to speakers by the monitor, what, if any difference will it make between a) running one wire per speaker or b) running from the receiver to a wall plate, then to another wall plate (in-wall), and, finally, back out to the speakers? Will the additional connectors in the cable run impact performance?

The same questions for video? How much would connectors in the wall plates impact composite? s-video? component?

Using wall plates provides a much cleaner installation and look, but I can't find information on their impact on these different types of cables and signaling. I am particularly concerned about the higher-end video cables.

Thanks.

RichardK

Second Unit
i second that question. i know it is a common set up for both convenience and aesthetics, but again what are the pros/cons.

also does it matter if i am running 12 gauge to the plate from receiver and then 16 from the plate to the speaker?

thanks

RKR

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I would say that you can use binding posts for speaker wires, and "F" connectors both on wall plates.

But I would hesitate to buy a wall plate with a video connector as the higher-frequency of the video signals are subject to things like reflection and impedence mis-match. (These are usually not an issue for audio or even RF for CATV signals).

And if you bought a face-plate with RCA connectors, are you sure the connectors are 75 ohms? This is a requirement for video signals, but a dont-care for audio.

I would also hesitate to mix speaker-level audio & video connectors together on the same face-plate.

The "better" and cheaper suggestion is to run everything through electrial outlet box's, and buy some blank face-plates. Drill custom holes for the various wires, but thread the wires through the faceplates so you have a un-broken run from source to destination. This looks nice, is cheap and easy to do.

Later, you can cut the wires off and install face-plates with connectors.

Niles makes some nice ones with 2-8 binding posts for speaker level connections.

If you really wanted to do a faceplate with video connectors, go through a place like Markertek that will custom build you a face plate with broadcast-studio grade connectors. You have a much better chance of getting good connectors that maintain shield integrity and the correct impedences.

Good Luck.

PS: There is no major problem with running 12 ga to the faceplates, but using 16 ga to the speakers. (I'm assuming you are talking about the rear speakers).

PPS: If you run in-wall wire to the rears, run 3 sets. Dont forget about that rear-center speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks