Wall plate suggestions

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by rob_l, Jan 6, 2004.

1. rob_l

rob_l Extra

I currently have 5 speaker wires and 2 coax wires coming out from a hole in the wall. I looked at partsexpress but didn't see anything made like this. Do I need to buy just a plate with holes in it, then add banana plugs and coax plugs? Sorry for the inaccurate terminology. I'd be very appreciative if someone can recommend part#s for the things I need.

Thx!

2. Evan M

Evan M Second Unit

I think the keystone plates are what you are referring to... and that would get you a customized plate, but I'm not sure it's what you'd want necessarily. There may be something else out there, but not that I know of. (And that doesnt' mean much.. I don't know a lot about this stuff yet)

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...2220&sku=03716

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...2209&sku=03818

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...2209&sku=28740

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...2209&sku=03814

3. rob_l

rob_l Extra

Thanks. This should work.

4. KenA

KenA Stunt Coordinator

Ken Appell
    Radio Shack and Home Depot also carry them.

5. Jason Edgecombe

I did something similar recently to run cables for my L/R surrounds and 2 rear surrounds. Radio Shack carries a four-speaker wall plate (ie, has 8 total binding posts) that fits in a single-gang electrical box.

However, after I installed it, I realized how little room that leaves you to manuver around the pannel. I had planed on using bananna plugs on the front side and then just using the post to clamp down the cable inside the wall, but there's just not enough room with all the wires, so I had to use bananna plugs on both sides.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have installed a 2-gang wall box, then purchased 2 of the 2-speaker wall plates from Parts Express. Btw, I'm pretty sure that the wall plates (covers) for these are the same size as those used for decora light switches that you can get anywhere.

6. JustinG

JustinG Stunt Coordinator

I did the same thing in my house. I have 4 pair of cables for 7.1 surround setup coming from the wall. I wanted to add the sub in there too, but wasnt enough room. So I built a wall plate using 4 pair of 5-way binding posts and an 8-way block from parts express.

I connected the bare wires on the back side inside the wall and used banana plugs from the outside to the receiver. Had to break out the coax for the sub to another space above the surrounds outlet. Works great though and looks finished out. Got all my parts from partsexpress including the coax to rca wallplate adapters.

7. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Jason,

I have 3 of those 8 post Radio Shack wall plates and I used bare wire on the inside but recently when trying to put real blue electrical old work gang boxes in the space instead of using the Radio Shack bracket mounts (that I hate), as well as check the ends of the wire, I concluded, as you did, that it will be a lot easier with banana plugs on both the inside and outside. Everything is just too cramped and it would be very easy for two stray strands to come together at some point to create a short. Unfortunately for me, I really needed plates that fit in one standard single gang box since I have 3 along this one wall so breaking them up into 2 plates with 4 posts each was never an option. I found the 091-330 banana plugs at Parts Express really fit nice and snug into the Radio Shack binding posts.

cheers,

--tom