Wall Oulets

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Red Spencer, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Red Spencer

Red Spencer Agent

Opinions on wall outlets. Anyone better than another. I read on PS Audio ($50) Hospital grade, Isolated etc...

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

This depends on your level of neurosis (don't take offence here, none intended) and what it is you want to accomplish. I'm not going to get into the audible aspects on this. There are beefier outlets available than the ones in most homes if one wants. Industrial and hospital grades have substantially thicker and more robust contacts. Red, I'd recommend you going down to your local electrical supply place (not Home Depot) and find a knowledgeable person to show you the differences. I don't know how the P&S compares but you might want to print any information out and take it down. Don't call, take the trip. Usually these guys know their products.
    For those who care, you can run the ground from each outlet separately to the box. Discuss this with the electrical supply house. Also believe it or not, there's audiophile romex out there too. Don't recall who makes it, but it's calling your name.

3. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

check out www.diycable.com for a decent outlet considerably cheaper than $50.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I have very bad neurosis, even have a cryogenically treated one. Definitely worth upgrading since the std. builder's grade ones are absolute crap. Best bang for the buck is the Leviton commerical grade stuff you can get at Home Depot for $2.97 each. My local electrical supply house hass Pass & Seymour hospital grade outlets (other cos. make them too like Hubbell) for $6.60 and these are a bit better. I won't say there is zero improvement after that point but there are diminishing returns and then you have to deal with Dr. Chu's diagnosis and medication. Make sure if you have a 20 amp circuit breaker that you put a 20 amp receptacle in. It is OK to put a 20 amp receptacle on a 15 amp breaker but I would not do it other way around. Of course the builder did when I asked for a separate 20 amps breaker but I would not say they knew the electrical code the way they should. I would spend the money on having an extra circuit run vs. spending it on an expensive outlet, but then again I'm neurotic.

5. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

If you absolutely must spend money, try this
    Bill

6. Blake R

Blake R Stunt Coordinator

What are you going to plug into these "wall outlets" red?

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

$150 for a wattgate? this must surely be technology bordering on microprocessor CPU's! and here we thought hosptitals and insurance companies were gouging us.
    sorry to hear about your cryogenically treated neurosis, but now you and Ted Williams have something in common [​IMG] Awww Phil, are my diagnosis that hard to deal with? Wait till you hear my scientific explanations for other bizarre audiophilic notions. You're right though, builders will put in the absolute bare minimum and sometimes its nice to have something a bit more robust. After all we are men and we don't like dainty Martha Stewart stuff!

8. Gary Silverman

Gary Silverman Stunt Coordinator

Red, I've found that Leviton and Hubbell specification grade receptacles are very good quality devices. I'm sure that the other major manufacturers make upper end devices as well, but where I live, we see mostly Leviton and Hubbell, once you get above the home improvement store grade.
    Just to clear up a couple of points that Phil made, it is ok to put a 15 amp receptacle on a 20 amp circuit, as long as it not a dedicated receptacle for that circuit. Also, it is NOT ok to put a 20 amp receptacle on a 15 amp circuit.