Wall options: fabric, drywall or leave the paneling where it is?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jack Ferry, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    In my basement remodeling project, the two side walls are currently 60's era paneling. I do not know the condition of the walls underneath, but I doubt that it is anything I want to expose. (In fact, I think it may just be the wall studs without drywall.)

I hate the paneling, and don't think I want to just paint it. I could put up new drywall, but I don't want to do that if I can get good results from putting up fabric.

Any recommendations? Cost is definitely an important factor. Sound is also a factor, but frankly I'm not overly concerned about it.

Finished room size will be: 20'x13'x7'(low ceiling). I'm particularly curious about what types of fabric can be used.

Thanks!!

2. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    IMO, if this is going to be a HT, you NEED to replace that paneling, especially if it's just tacked to the studs and hollow back there.

Two schools of thought here:

1. "I don't want to KNOW what it looks like back there....screw it, it's staying up and I'm not looking!"

2. "I need to know what's back there...what if it's rotted and ready to leak after the first good rain?"

See what I mean? Taping/floating drywall on nice, straight walls isn't that hard and I'm sure with a little research and effort it would come out great. [​IMG]

Drywall is SO much less reverberant than wooden paneling, too.

3. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    Thanks Mike. You're right. No shortcuts on this part of the project. I took down one sheet and found that the studs and insulation are in good shape. Replacing the paneling with drywall should be fairly easy, and not very expensive. Plus it greatly simplifies wiring.