What's new

Wall OK to use as projector screen? (1 Viewer)

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Is it OK to use a white painted wall as a projector screen?

Is there a big difference than projecting on a projector screen?

Thanks

Mike Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Screen manufacturers use highly developed reflective paint that provides flat spectral response (when desired) and an even incident reflection angle.
Since these "paints" are proprietary, it is unlikely that you will find something at Sears that contains the same properties.
Many people on the forums use a painted wall and are happy with the results, however it is generally thought that a screen would provide a better viewing experience to the critical eye.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
If you want to use a wall for your screen, they have this material calls screen "goo" that you can paint on ANY flat surface, it is commented that using this stuff will make your screen rival a Stewart Grey hawk screen.

It's what I'm gonna be buyin :emoji_thumbsup:

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I currently use a wall as well until I get the Firehawk installed. It looks good but from experience, I know it will look much better afterwards.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
You know.....Goo and them. Naw, just kidding check this out, they get spoken pretty highly of on the AVS forum.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Funny. I just used comet gray paint for my wall. I sampled a 3'x 3'piece of grayhawk and silver hawk and simply could not see the advantage of either compared to the wall.

regards

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Comet grey you say? Hmmmm, well comet grey it is!:D If there's anyone's opinion I trust about the visual quality of anything it's definitely yours Michael.:emoji_thumbsup:

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Just consider it a $15 experiment. See how you like it. It may not be perfect, but $15 is a lot less than $1200.

The experiment only works if you can guarantee a flat surface devoid of bumps and other obvious imperfections.

Regards

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Well if you can get goo'ed for about $150 and it looks really good, I say that's not too bad. But I cant see spending $1200, puhlease.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
LaMarcus,
The site makes it look like you need two base coats and two finish coats. Depending on the size of screen this could be expensive. Probably not $1200, probably more like $500. But I guess someone would actually have to do it for us to know for sure.

I just used comet gray paint for my wall.
Michael, where did you get the Comet Gray and how many coats etc? Thanks.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The Comet Gray paint is from Home Depot ... CIL type. It wasn't that scientifically decided upon. It simply looked about the same colour as the Stewart screen samples that I had.

I probably did about three coats, but I can't say I really kept track of that. It's a cheap solution so use as many coats as you think you need. I painted the entire wall face gray ... and am shooting a 92" image that can go as large as 110".

Should note that the darker gray you get, the better your blacks become ... but at the cost of light output. Of course my neighbours across the street can atest to the light output since they can see into my window and watch what I watch at night. :)

Regards

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I built a 96" wide 16x9 screen using blackout material from Joannes and it looks just as good as my friend's Da-Lite screen. The only difference is that mine was 1/8th the cost. YMMV

If you don't have a smooth wall to paint you could build a screen using blackout material and then paiting that. Many people have had success doing that over at avsforum.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Not to get off subject but, Jason, I've been trying to see the gallery on your website for months! It never works, I'm just curious if you know this or not. The only link that works is your equiptment link.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks