Wall Mounting?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Bob_Lawrance, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Bob_Lawrance

Bob_Lawrance Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased the Monitor Silver Series speakers and the rears are the book shelf speakers RS1. I am thinking of wall mounting them but I have a couple of questions.

1. Does wall mounting hurt the speakers either sound wise or structurally? because of screwing the screws into them to hold them.

2. How high should they be of the ground? Ear level or a bit higher?

Thanks in advance.

2. Steve.G

Steve.G Agent

Man. I got the wall mounts for my boston acoustics. I was so pyched about not having to use stands and having them out of the way. I got one up, went to put the other one up and i hit a damn pipe drilling the hole LOL! i was screwed. The joys of having a theater room in the basement! So i had to scratch that idea and just use some stands. I was PISSED!

I think wall mounting should be the last resort tho. I could be wrong tho but some speakers need space between them and the walls and you usually dont have any when using wall mounts. Also if they are not secured tight enough they could cause rattling.

definetely have them a few feet above ear level tho.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

It shouldn't hurt them structurally. I suppose the screws could hurt the sound if they actually went all the way through the wall of the cabinet and into the chamber behind the speaker. Hanging them on the wall, as Steve mentioned, could adversely affect the sound, but it also may be a necessity in your situation. We all make comprosmises in our theaters.

They should definitely be above head-level. Especially if they are directly to the sides of the listening position. If you put them right at ear-level then your head would be blocking some of the sound for the person next to you.