Wall mounting speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Steve Carlo, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Steve Carlo

Steve Carlo Stunt Coordinator

May 6, 2003
    I would like to wall mount my speakers (on account of not wanting speaker stands 3 feet high to put them on the same level as my center chanel and to keep the rears in a position that they won't keep getting bumped into and knocked over)

Anyway I have Energy Encore's (larger version of the XL) and Mirage Omnis (the smaller model). Neither of them have a screw mount on the back [​IMG] So...would I be dicing with speaker destruction if I tried to drill them and mount them? If so...any suggestions for decently priced wall mounts which are of the "tray" variety?

2. JonathanOh

JonathanOh Agent

Jul 7, 2003
    I would try not to drill any holes in them as it may affect the sound and will definitely affect resale should you ever want to sell them.

There are mounts that will clamp your speakers at the bottom from the sides. Just search on speaker mounts using google and you will find a place that sells this type.

Mounts are mounts. There's not much to them so I have no recommendation. Omnimounts makes a bunch and with many configurations (not clamp style though). You could try getting one that offers the plate for the bottom of the speaker. They are intended to be screwed in but your Encores and Omnistats are quite small and not very heavy. You could try using non-permanent adhesive putty (for an example: http://www.preludeaudio.com/products...s/Fun-Tak.html).

I used some for speakers I had on stands (good sized ones) and it worked great. After about 6 years on the stands, I really had to pry them off. Then it only took 2 minutes to clean off the bottom. No permanent marks, even after 6 years.

You could tie a safety line to your speakers so if they should ever fall off, the line would catch them.
  3. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

Jul 21, 2003
    Depending on the decor of your HT, you can make your own mounts with nice results. Here's what I did:

If you look at the speaker on the right (my L-surround), you'll see a black wrought iron bracket (Ikea, $5 for 2), and a rectangular pine base. The bracket has two holes on the vertical surface, and I used those to attach screws to molly anchors I put in the drywall. It also has 2 holes on the horizonal surface, and I used wood screws to secure the pine piece. The pine was cut to roughly the width and depth of the speaker bottom, sanded, then Minwaxed.

If you want to go this route, it can be done very cheaply. A large variety of brackets are available for under $10/pair, and a tiny portion of 1"x8" pine is insignificant in price (I used a scrap piece). You can use any type of wood or other material, and paint it to match your speakers or decor, if you like.

BTW, my speaker wires are no longer dangling. I finally fished them through the ceiling last night. [​IMG]

Good luck!