What's new

Wall mounting Polk RTi38's (1 Viewer)

JerryCulp

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I am thinking about taking back the Rti28's and getting the RTi38's all around. It's only about 15 bucks more per speaker for the trade.

What worries is that where I have the surrounds, I dont have a stud to mount the speakers to. I'm not worried that the RTi28's are going to fall, but the RTi38's are ALOT heavier. All that weight on one screw only held in by drywall.
I dont have any options other than where they are now.

I wonder if putting a small (3/4") ledge under the bottom of the speaker would work.

Any other ideas that are not too ugly...

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry,
I'm looking at my 38's manual right now and they suggest a #10 screw in a wall stud or a #10 wall anchor and screw for no wall stud. They indicate the shipping weight/pair is 45 pounds. In my opinion 22 pounds is alot of weight for a wall anchor and screw. I think a ledge/shelf anchored into studs would be more structurally secure. And you could aim/face them exactly where you want them. Hope this helps.

JerryCulp

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up 3 more Rti38's today to go with the 2 I bought yesterday. Yesterday I got the last 2 new in the box RTi38's in town. Today I got 3 floor models. Two for $75 each from one store, and the third from a different store for $79.

I'm good at coming up with crazy ideas. I had pictured in my mind something unobtrusive. That meant metal and pretty thin.
While looking at my DVD collection I thought of the bookends I use for the DVD's. They are metal, really thin and pretty strong, roughly 6" to 7" high and long. I used 2 #10 anchors to hold the bookend in place and used a #10 for the built in bracket. So far, so good. 7 bucks at Office Depot.

I also put a piece of felt on the part of the bookend that touches the speaker so it wouldnt scratch it up.

Dang but these suckers are heavy for wall mounting, but they sure sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks