Wall mounting bookshelves question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Michael__M, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

I have rearranged my room and now will need to mount my Infinity IL10's up on the wall. What is the best way to do this? Should I build a small shelf or use universal mounts? Thanks again for all your help.

2. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

What weight?
    Are you OK with drilling holes in your speakers?
    Clamping style ?

3. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

Weight is 18lbs each. I guess I'm ok with drilling holes if you guys say it is ok.

4. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

check these outhttp://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-AhgieVOXeGI/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=1&g=110700&I=121BT1&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N
    just got them last week for mine, the only disappointing thing is that they're made out of plastic.
    (and you do need to drill). So far they've held. also looked at thesehttp://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-AhgieVOXeGI/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=1&g=110700&I=121BT77S&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N
    Kinda expensive, PE also has some nice Vogel clamping style.http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=17920837&St=3835&St2=-39460811&St3=82170187&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=15077&DID=7

5. ThomasEdison

ThomasEdison Extra

Don't know if you were planning on putting them in the corners but I bought small corner shelves from Home Depot for about $7 a piece and they work and look great. They have a few different sizes. My rears are Infinity Entra Point Fives.

6. Mike^C

Mike^C Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    I just mounted some 25 lb each, fairly deep Rocket RS150s with these sweet mounts.

BT77

They have a side clamping mechanism thats secured with bolts. Very nice and you dont have to drill. Crutchfield also has em. Take a look for yourself.

7. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Michael-

I've got a pair of Omnimounts Series 20 for walls I can run by for you to play with. I got them at cost and will do the same for you if you want them. link. Just give me a PM.

Chris Quinn

8. DavidNighorn

DavidNighorn Stunt Coordinator

hometheaterdirect sells some very capable wall-mount brackets as well.

David

9. BrianMe

BrianMe Stunt Coordinator

Do you have a picture of these installed?

10. Chris Fleming

I have to ask about how wall mounting affects sound quality. Isn't it typically necessary to have ample space behind your speakers to achieve the best sound? Especially with rear-ported models? I'm just curious, because I've been leary of using wall mounts, but if everyone agrees that the negative effects on sound quality are minimal, I'd jump right in!

Thanks!

11. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

I bought a pair of Omnimounts yesterday from good guys at $40 each ($80 total!!!). Looked at them at home, didn't like what I saw. First off, they're way too expensive. Secondly, that section of my wall has no stud, I'll have to go with toggle bolts for the drywall anchor. I think it's much safer to have a shelf to rest my Energy C3's (17 lbs)on than using the single 3/8 bolt to mount the speakers (unless you have a stud of course).

12. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Chris,
    Typically they aren’t mounted right up against the wall. Most mounting brackets will have them out a few inches, especially if the brackets have the capacity to angle them. The same would hold true if you’re using small shelves – you can get them away from the wall a little if needed.

But you might not want to. Small speakers typically have minimal bass response, and mounting them as close to the wall as possible will give you some reinforcement there.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

13. BrianMe

BrianMe Stunt Coordinator

Don't use a toggle bolt. Look at your local home store for some different drywall anchors. They make ones that will hold up to 75lbs without a stud. I have used them on all kinds of stuff.

14. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the advice. But I returned them already. Instead I bought 4 pieces of stylized wrought-iron 90 degree shelf support. However, I'm not gonna put up a shelf, just the 2 support, with the speaker resting on top.