Wall Mounting a Plasma - wiring questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vito_Jr, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Vito_Jr

Vito_Jr Extra

Hi,

I'm expecting delivery this week on a 42" WD5UY Panasonic and have ordered a wall mount to go with it.

I am in the process of having a family room built (framing starts this week) and I want to wall mount the plasma. I am not sure yet where the components will be located (vcr, receiver/dvd, digital cable box). They could be directly below the screen or possibly off to the right ( a couple of feet). My questions concern the electrical wiring (power) as well as to the components. I want all the wires to be hidden in the wall. That said, can you guide me as to

1. How do I get power to it? Do I use the power cord and have a receptacle built in the wall? If so, what about the excess power cord? Is the receptacle placed behind the wall mount, or at the base of the wall?

2. I have an all in one Onkyo receiver/dvd player. I will be connecting it to the plasma - I assume I will need to buy a longer cord - where can I buy this and what kind of a cord is it?

3. The receiver also has a component video out - I am getting digital cable this week - is this what this is for? If so, what type of cable do I get?

4. I understand that with speaker wire that will be in the walls I need to have CL2 or CL3 rated wire. Do I have to be concerned with the "in the wall" power cord and component cords as well?

Thanks.

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

If framing, you are in a great position to get the electrical wiring just right. Yes, a receptacle behind the plasma is the neatest. Just lightly coil and tie-tie off the excess power cord from the monitor; should be enough room for this 1/2inch thick coil.

1. Consider how the circuit ties into the main service breaker panel. Ideally, you run a dedicated 15amp (20amp is fine if you anticipate a large power amp down the road). This circuit wud handle nothing but HT components. One circuit also helps avoid potential ground loops when components feed off separate circuits.

It's usually advised to have the electrician wire the dedicated circuit on the PHASE or side of the breaker box opposite that used by the big appliances with motors (chiefly the frig) in the house.

2. I wud install a regular wall base receptacle under the plasma for the receiver component. This can be a leg of the dedicated circuit. You will have to determine the length of cable run up to the plasma, chiefly the 3-wire component cables which come premade in a variety of lengths. See partsexpress.com and accessories4less.com for AR PRO Series, economical and solid.

3. I am uncertain of your meaning: digital cableTV? This may come with a set-topo box STB in several flavors, including S-Video which can connect to the plasma. Get back to the forum then. But I'm thinking you want an answer before the framing is closed in...???

4. Well-made component cables can be run in the wall. They carry micro-voltages compared to speaker voltages.

To run the component cable and any S-Video cable from the receiver up the inner wall, have a low-voltage gang box installed at the base level with the lower power receptable. Get a regular Decora type wall plate with a precut hole just wide enough to pass the wires thru. I'd say same thing behind the plasma, consistent with not butting against the plasma wall frame.

hope this helps some...

3. Vito_Jr

Vito_Jr Extra

Thanks Bill, very detailed suggestions. Just what I need.[​IMG]
    Yes, the "digi" cable is from ATT and comes with a cable box.
    Right now I have an RCA to BNC cable into the plasma and when I install it in the new room I will also use the component video cable.
    A couple of other questions:
    1. should there be any power protection units involved (for surges, etc),
    2. Re the gang box: do the cables from the plasma connect to that and then other cable connect from the box to the components?
    Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response.