Wall mounted surround placement

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by wally, May 20, 2005.

1. wally

wally Second Unit

The drywall in my new basement will be going up shortly and I have a question of where I should mount my surrounds. I’m purchasing the Klipsch RS-25. Should they be behind the listening position? In-line? Need to purchase and pull the cable soon.

Thanks,
    wally

2. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

Preferred surround speaker placement

The surround speakers should be placed alongside and slightly to the rear of (but not behind) the prime seating position; well above ear level, to help minimize localization effects; and aimed directly across the listening area, not down at the listeners. This arrangement creates a diffuse, enveloping surround soundfield throughout the listening area, like that in cinemas and in the dubbing theaters where soundtracks are mixed. If the speakers are too far forward, you won't get sufficient rearward effect, and if the speakers are too far back, there will be a loss of envelopment and integration of the surround information with the whole soundfield.

Alternative surround speaker placement alternatives

Of course, not every home theater installation has sidewalls in just the right place to mount surround speakers. If this is your situation, consider the following alternatives. Generally, placing surround speakers on the wall directly behind the listeners is not preferred. But when there's no alternative, there are several mounting techniques you can try, as shown in Figure 11. Mount them well above ear level, and try aiming them at each other, towards the front, or to reflect off the sidewalls. Experiment with placing and aiming the speakers until the surround soundfield seems to envelop you, rather than coming from behind.

I can't post urls but if you do a google search for dolby reference you should get some good links. Keep in mind it also depends on how you will be using it. Depending on its use ie. for multi channel audio or home theater will also help determine where your speakers should go.

3. John S

John S Producer

Pretty much what the previous poster said. Now is the time, to make them work in the optimal position and place the seating and anything else in there around them. Not the other way around as many of us are forced to do.

4. ClaytonMG

ClaytonMG Stunt Coordinator

I have the same speakers, and I am curious, the instruction manual for the reciever I have (Yamaha RXV 2500) says that the speakers should be about 6 feet above the ground as it is the standard for recording studios. I believe they refer to it as ITU-R. Right now I have the speakers about a foot above the listening position (which is at about 4 feet from the ground). Should I raise them to about 6 feet? Also, I have the EX set up and my rears are only about 4 feet behind the listening position, I am worried that if I raise them, the EX speakers will be harder to hear and less noticable.

Clayton