Wall mounted paradigm Studio 40's?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by greggor, Jan 1, 2005.

1. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Anyone here ever try this? If so, how did you mount them? I am planning on mounting my Studio 40's on the walls where they will be performing surround sound duty. I may even get two more to mount as side speakers in a 7.1 se-up. Anyone have any ideas?

Greg

2. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

I have 4 s-38's for surround duty that sit on shelves that I built on the wall and it looks verry clean. Got some nice brackets at Home Depot and screwed them into the studs. They are strong enough that I could do pull ups on them! Just a thought.

3. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Thanks Todd, thats an interesting idea and I thought of doing something similiar. A concern of mine is that my 40's are rear ported so I will need to give them a little breathing room. I would also like to figure out a way to angle them towards the listening area. Another idea I have is to use 1 and 1/2 inch pipe and a flange mounted to the ceiling, then somehow attached to the speaker. I could also run the speaker wire up through the piping and through the attic and so forth. Anyone else try anything similiar to this?

Greg

4. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

To sound their best, I had to move my studio 40v3 a minimum of a foot from my TV, walls, and other furniture, and I would put more space between them and other things if I had more space. When cramped they sounded dull and had added a strange "color" to the sound. All this went away with a little breathing room. However, I don't know if this will matter since you'd be using them for surrounds. That'll be an intimidating looking set-up. What are you using for your mains and center channel? How big is your room?