Wall-mountable speakers that sound great at low volumes: need recommendations

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by KyleT, Sep 12, 2005.

1. KyleT

KyleT Stunt Coordinator

I'm opening up a restaurant in the Memphis, TN area this winter with a couple of other investors. Being the electronics geek, the responsibility of setting up a very nice sound system to play background music has been dubbed my responsibility (among other things like setting up an inventory control database, the checkout kiosks, etc, but that's got nothing to do with HT so[​IMG])

Anyhow... the music is going to be kept at relatively low levels pretty much all day every day - you know, just like what you're used to hearing in any other restaurant.

In-ceiling speakers aren't really an option because we've got a very high "warehouse" style ceiling if you know what I'm talking about.

So we're just going to go with wall-mountable speakers.

I'd like to spend under 2k bucks including the amp, cable, and speakers... so I guess I'd like to keep it under 600 bucks per pair of speakers - of course I'm aware that 600 bucks can often times buy you speakers that technically are a grand - since there are great deals that can be found online, and if that's the case of course I'm fine with a 1000 dollar pair of speakers.

I think we'll need at least 2 pairs of speakers starting off.

I love the way the Polk LSi9s sound, and I've found some places that sell them cheap, but then I got to thinking... speakers that sound good (and relatively full range) at low volumes aren't always the ones that sound good and high volumes.

I guess you have any suggestions for a low volume amp that'll support both pairs of speakers, I'd appreciate it too.

We're likely just going to be playing music off of Napster or XM radio off of a computer in the management office. That's what I do at my house, at least, and am pretty comfortable with it.[​IMG]

2. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

Hmm, you trust satalite radio even though they can say and do pretty much anything? I hear some things in my car that I would not want to broadcast to my clients.

3. KyleT

KyleT Stunt Coordinator

rob, that's a good point. From my understanding, XM Radio offers a commercial radio package that I thought I remembered hearing has channels more suitable for a place of business with all completely clean and very neutral (nothing that would annoy or offend people) music and no DJs.

There are some channels like that already on XM, but few and far between... I've been listening to a lot of potential channels to see what their content is like, though unfortunately most of them either play the occasional song with bad words in it, or the DJs talk too much.

If I can't go any other direction I might just have to spend a while coming up with a couple thousand songs on Napster to cycle through randomly.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

JBL Eons are a good choice if you ever need to get loud (plan on having a weekend bar crowd?). They let you run insanely long runs from your source because they're high impedance, and with power to them you've got full biamped built to last forever.

5. KyleT

KyleT Stunt Coordinator

Philip,
    I'm actually looking for speakers that will sound good at low volumes. We don't intend to ever turn them up very loud. We will be serving bottled beer as a supplement/option to go with our food, but we won't have an all out bar, beer specials, or anything else that would attract a loud weekend crowd. We're more of a family and business-oriented atmosphere all in all.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

You're probably fine with decent stereo speakers then.

7. KyleT

KyleT Stunt Coordinator

Right... but which stereo speakers sound best at low volume?[​IMG] :p)