What's new

Wall mount recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Currently, my surrounds are on 26" stands. One is in a 4 ft wide opening into another room.. and my 2 year old knocked it over the other day. (just cosmetic damage).

I'm considering putting them up on the wall (where they probably should have been anyway), and would appreciate some good recommendations for a decent wall mount that passes WAF. My surrounds are in the 10-15 lb weight category. They measure 13.5 x 8.5 x 8.5.

One concern would be about head strikes since this is a walkway into another area of the house. :-/

I would like to be able to angle them in and down, since they are direct radiating speakers. And I'd prefer not to have to put screws into the MDF, but will if necessary.

Should I just leave them on stands or do I have some good options for a wall mount scenario?

(The main reason I got DR speakers was due to the open area that one of them would have to be located in. The other is in a corner. I'm pleased with how they work, but admit to being curious as to how bi/dipoles would sound in my environment.)

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Sounds like a job for B-Tech BT-77's. You can find them at Crutchfield. They are built great, and when screwed into a wall stud are VERY solid. You don't need to screw into your speakers, and they are also adjustable, so upgrading to larger speakers later would be NO problem.
Good luck!
Pete

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
I'll check that out, Pete. Thanks for the link.

Upon further review, it looks like the BT3 would work with my surrounds (they have square front/rear).

Any other contenders?

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't find the BTech product that suited my speaker in Canada, andI looked everywhere for alternatives. Believe it or not I found reasonable brackets at Home Depot. My speakers are about the same size or a bit larger than yours.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Larry,

I found some at Lowe's, but don't think I've looked at HD yet. I'll have to compare to what I saw at Lowes.

B-Tech looks promising. My main concern is the likelihood of having a stud in the correct location. I'd like to keep the surrounds in the same plane.. and not offset from each other.

Thanks for the tip.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I compromised on the locations of my speakers SLIGHTLY to hit the studs. I was off only slightly from my ideal location. In the end, I wouldn't move them now if I could, they sound fine where they are.

Good luck!

Pete

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Pete,

I compromised on the locations of my speakers SLIGHTLY to hit the studs
How would you define slightly?

In my case my sofa is against a back wall, and one surround will be in a corner while the other is in a 4' opening to another area. If I can't find a stud pretty close to the opening, it may not even be in the same room! I have a window 21" from the opening preventing me from going very far into the room with the wall mount.

Wonder how far apart the vertical planes can be without adversely affecting the surround sound?

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Rick,

How would you define slightly?
Well, The rear right speaker was dead-on to where I wanted it, and the rear left speaker was about 8 inches outside of where I wanted it, meaning roughly that my rear speakers are about 8 - 12' wider apart than my fronts. This created no problem for me, I have the rears aimed in a criss-cross pattern with my fronts, and at a point in the floor about three feet in front of my sweet-spot. I really enjoy this setup. Due to the layout of my room it was pretty much my ONLY choice, and actually sounds great. My rears are 11' back, and about 7' up the wall and 9' apart. My front's are 12' away, and about 8' apart.

I would advise you to "borrow" a few friends and a stud finder. Find the location of the two closest suitable studs, and ask them to hold your speakers there for a few minutes while you demo a movie. I can get my buddies to do almost anything as long as I buy 'em a beer!

Good luck!

Pete

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Rick,
You won't necessarily need to mount them on studs if these mounts have covers for the wall plates. If they're like the ones that I have (which look similar), there is a wall plate which you screw to the wall and a plastic cover to hide the wall plate. If that is the case, you can use some heavy duty toggle bolts - it works just fine especially since your speakers are under 15lbs. If you were going to use the rated load (55lbs) then, yes, you need to attach to studs.
FYI, another wall mount bracket, different style, slightly cheaper. Clamp opens from front to back. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=15077&DID=7

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the clarification, Pete.

Gordon, I wasn't sure how 10-15 lbs would work on drywall only. So you think it'd be ok? I'd sure feel better if I have a stud to fasten to.

I'll check those Vogel's mounts.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
I've got mine mounted on drywall using 3 heavy duty 3/8" toggle bolts (3 holes per mount) and my surrounds are about ~15lbs. No problems here.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
The wall mounts that clamp front to rear would work well for me.. or so I thought. Then it dawned on me that my grills extend top to bottom on the front of the speaker. So I don't see how that could work. (I prefer to leave the grills on).
Furthermore, the sides of my speakers are not parallel.. so the side clampers wouldn't work either, methinks.
Do I have any options short of a mount that screws into the speaker?
M3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks