Wall Mount rear surround install

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Pay, May 1, 2002.

1. Rick Pay

Rick Pay Stunt Coordinator

I would like to mount my rear surround speakers on the back wall that my couch is up against in a 13x20 family room. Problem is that I have 2 windows on each side of the couch on the same back wall so I would need to mount the speakers high in the corners of the wall about 3 inches below the ceiling. I'd like to run the speaker wire down the wall and into my basement immediately below the family, then route to the otherside and come back up to meet my components at the opposite wall. What are some tricks of the trade for fishing wire thru these walls or should I hire an installer? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Brian Crowe

Brian Crowe Stunt Coordinator

I'd go to Home Depot or Graybar and buy a fish tape. It's a roll of metal wire that comes in lengths of 100' to 500' or so and looks like a big measuring tape. You only need a short one so buy the smallest they have.

Now a couple of questions: Are you mounting the speakers above the windows? If so you'll need to run the speaker wire around them in order to get down the wall. Also, are you wanting to make a small hole in the wall or use a faceplate? Faceplates are the easy choice. just buy some caddy fasteners (also at home depot- metal rings that you put in the wall to screw faceplates to) saw the hole, and screw them down. Then you can drill a small hole from the basement up into the wall, stick your hand in the large hole near the ceiling to grab the fishtape, then tape your speaker wire on and pull down. Slap on a faceplate and you're done. If you only want to make a small hole then you're gonna have a hell of a time getting the end of the fishtape to poke through. It's like trying to thread a needle from 10' away.

Do the same on the component side.

***BEFORE YOU MAKE HOLES IN THE WALL***

Use a stud finder to go up and down the wall and make positively sure that there are no horizontal studs running through the wall. I've run into this on occasion when fishing wire next to windows. Make all your measurements carefully so when you drill up from the basement you don't ruin your carpet. After those holes are in run the fishtape up as far as you can until it hits the top. pull it out and measure the length to make sure it went to the ceiling upstairs. If it did, you can be pretty sure there are no cross studs.

Good Luck,

~Crowe~

3. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

my money saving suggestion is to go to home depot lowes or whever and buy some sting. The kind they use for level lines when you lay brick or set fence posts. Get in your attic drill a hole above where you want the wire to run. And then find the corresponding hole on the wall. Get a nut tie it to the sting. Then get a magent hold it buy the hole on the outside of the wall. Then drop your sting with the nut tied to it down until the magnet catches it. Then use electrical tape. Tape the speaker wire to the sring and then pull the sting in the opposite direction. Thats how I do it and the magnet trick really and I mean really help. But like the other reply make sure there are no horizontal studs.

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

If there are no horizontal braces, then you may be ok. You'd also like to keep the speaker cable away from electrical runs. These may also run horizontally in the wall. It's ok to cross them perpendicularly - just don't run parallel to them for any length. Also, your fish tape can get caught on the other wiring in the wall so just be gentle when forcing it down into the wall? Is this an outside wall? I guess so, if there are windows [​IMG] If so, you may also have insulation to deal with. That can be messy. In addition, over the windows they'll be headers so you won't be able to run wire directly to the spot over the windows.
    An alternative to running the wire right up to the speaker in the corner is to simply run it over to the wall, put in a binding post face plate or a straight through plate and then from there use some wire molding to "hide" the wire to the run to the speaker. You can paint this the same color as the walls and it pretty much disappears. As I said, it is an alternative and what I've done.
    Also, make sure to use CL-3 in-wall rated wire.
    good luck,
    --tom