What's new

Wall jack for PS2 game controller? (1 Viewer)

(Mods: Not sure if this is Construction or should just go in the gaming section, but it's specific to my overall HT construction, so...)

Anyone ever seen a wall-plate fixture (like a phone jack plate) that has a PlayStation 2 controller jack fixed to it? All my gear is behind the west wall of the dedicated HT and I want to be able to plug my controller(s) right into the wall when I play, but other than stripping down a PS2 controller extension cord and building my own gang box, I don't know how to do it.

Thoughts? Anyone seen one of these pre-made jacks?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Assuming the connection is proprietary, you won’t find anything like this unless Sony makes it. You’ve probably noticed that other commonly-available connections/wall plates all have generally universal or industry-wide applications – telephone and networking jacks, RCA connections, bananas plugs, etc.

However, it wouldn't be difficult for an interprising DIYer with some soldering skills to rig something suitable. There are numerous connector protocols available that support multi-conductor applications.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Roger_C

Stunt Coordinator
I could use this as well. I'm considering wireless controllers. Let me know if you pull something off.

Tom_K

Auditioning
I am thinking about this as well but came to the conclusion that I would just make the jack in the wall the s-video and keep the console the thing to plug into the wall rather than the controllers.

You are right the alternative would be to make your own using controller extensions or as the guy said go wireless.

I have not built anything yet so I am open to ideas

jason mack

Auditioning
First post here. My experience is with the xbox, so I am not sure how or if this will apply, but something to think about. The controller ports on the xbox are actually modified USB plugs. The Controller is a USB device with a 4 wire connection. That is nice because the xbox is essentially a pentium 3 - and when you hack it with a new bios chip that allows you to use a USB keyboard, and such. (Also you can use your xbox controller as a joystick for your pc games.) So you could use an in wall usb port and then modify the controller to plug into standard usb. The drawback is that the max length for a usb cable is 17 feet.

What I ended up doing -- and not a terribly elegant solution but very servicable -- was buying a 4-port Sony Multitap box and ganging it into the wall with some trim to match my swing-out DVD cabinet. Works great, I can plug up to 4 controllers into it, and it actually looks pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks