Wall finish

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by TomDA, Apr 24, 2004.

1. TomDA

TomDA Auditioning

I'm a newbee here. I'm building a dedicated home theater room for a friend. I finished skin coating and priming the wall that will recieve the image 13'w x9'h (it had orange peel texture on it). We want to paint it and not use a screen. Any suggestion on what kind of paint to use. Do I need a highly reflective finish? I can get my hands on some water based pearl white, or is that a bad idea; I am wondering if it will distort the colors like it does the sun light. I looked at Dazian Screen Goo but at $144.00 a quart that's above his budget. Any help would b greatly appiciater.TomDA

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

You want the opposite to avoid hot spots - bright spots in the picture. So, the flatter the finish, the better.

As far as color goes.. I believe most DIY'ers here go with white with just a tiny hint of gray. The gray helps with making the blacks look more black in the projected image.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Depends on what kind of projector. Gray screens help digital projectors achieve a better black. CRTs don't need this help, though, so a white screen is preferred. A flat ultra-white is probably a basic starting point.

4. Nick.H

Nick.H Stunt Coordinator

Just purchase matt white paint, save yourself the money.

The picture quality is great from it.