What's new

Wall construction (1 Viewer)

BobHaymond

Stunt Coordinator
Carpenter is demolishing a wall to put back together as my HT. Room = 12.5 x 19.5 Questions arise. I had planned to slightly recess the mains into the wall but several posts have convinced me that they should be a foot or so into the room. Which leads to the following Q? :The TV will be the Sony 36XBR[16:9] which will be recessed into the wall with just the frame showing. How would be the best way to position the center speaker?

Another question I had is about speaker wire. I went to Lowe's to look at their 12 guage stranded and it was fairly stiff. Is there available 12 guage that is more flexable. By the time I can route and hide the wires to (4) surrounds, the distances might be 25+ feet. Do you feel that the 12 guage is worth the effort over 14 guage?

Opinions welcome. BH

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Bob, I'll give this a shot.

WIRE -- Do you have a Home Depot outlet so you can compare THEIR 12AWG, since HD often is recommended in this forum.

SPKRS -- Since you were going to have custom niches for the mains, and now NOT, it wud be neat to have a custom niche for the CENTER, above the built-in 16x9 monitor. With a small lip on the front edge, the center can be tilted up at the rear in order to point the speakers at the listening position. It's often suggested the center grille be an inch or a little more in front of the monitor screen.

Later, you can look into the Speaker Delay Time feature of your receiver for optimum DD/DTS signal. My Yamaha manual says, for example, "Increasing the delay by 1ms simulates moving the speakers about one foot farther away from the listening position."

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hmmm...

you bring up an interesting question about the center speaker being recessed. i know most people recommend not recessing mains speakers for various reasons, but i wonder about the ramifications of doing the same thing with a center channel. after all, a speaker is a speaker is a speaker isn't it?

anyway, since it sounds like you don't really have a choice, you're going to have to mount the center either above or below the tv and aim accordingly. i kind of feel that as long as the front of the speaker isn't obstructed, you should be okay. after all, most of the bass and lower frequencies will probably be routed to your mains.

if the 12g wire is going to be too much of a hassle, you'll probably be fine using the 14g. if possible, i'd try to tough it out and keep the 12g just to be "safe".

just wondering...is that home depot stuff rated for in-wall installation? not sure if it matters...but i'd definitely find out.

BobHaymond

Stunt Coordinator
Thanx for replies. Of course, I'm hoping that the CSW MC300 speakers are somewhat of an overkill for my small room so maybe I can afford to go with matching the center with the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks