wall construction (1 Viewer)

Dan C

Agent
I was considering this as a option:

Icynene insulation
1/2 plywood
rubber sheeting (45 mil.)
1/2 drywall

should i use plywood or drywall as the first layer?

I would really use the help this is my first home theater

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I don't know what the STC ratings of Icynene insulation is compared to other types, so I'm not sure if its the best way to go or not. As to the wall construction we need more information. Where in the house is the room being built (first story, second, basement etc)? What will be above and below it? Is it ok if sound leaves the room? Are there outside noises that you want to keep out (live next to an airport, neighbor is mowing lawn 7x24, etc).

Our theater was designed to try to keep as much sound in the room as we could. On our theater (currently under construction) we used a 2x6 plate and staggered 2x4s for the wall. We put fiberglass insulation in the walls and topped it off with two layers of sheetrock--one 5/8 and the other 1/2. The first layer was taped before we installed the second, and we overlapped the seams. We used hat channel and RISC clips to isolate ceiling sheetrock from the floor above (our HT in in the basement). We caulked where the sheetrock met the floor and where ever there was a hole for HVAC, electrical or speaker wire. We are also using an exterior door with weather stripping and a sill to try to keep sound leakage to a minimum.

Dan C

Agent
Sorry I left out some details. The theater is in the basement with 12 inch thick concrete walls. It is right below the dining room/family room which is in front of the house and nobody uses them. The only problem is that they are covered with wood flooring. The walls will be foamed and the celing before the wood seals it off (steel trusses are 2 foot deep). There will be an 18 inch soffit around the perimiter and the rest I am still working out what to do. I am leaning towards 2 rows of black celing tile then a floating drywall center, all of which will be insulated with batts. Right now I am building the false wood floor. I plan in gluing all drywall and sealing all cut-outs as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks