Wall color w/RPTV and bias light?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Steve Lumbert, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Steve Lumbert

Steve Lumbert Stunt Coordinator

There have been many posts regarding using black or at the very least dark flat colors in HT rooms. Does the same color model apply to HT rooms with RPTVs with a rear bias light as a room with a projector?

My current room is entirely done in semi-gloss white that definitely has to go but I just wanted to get some feedback before doing anything.

TIA

2. Steve::Weaver

Ideally, the wall behind and around the TV would be neutral. Black and white are both neutral, as well as a number of (but not all) shades of gray. Kodak 18% gray would be the reference standard, but that's too dark for most people to want on their walls.

In practice, unless it's a dedicated home theater room, most people would prefer the walls to be a pleasing color and to have their color perception a little off.

3. Steve Lumbert

Steve Lumbert Stunt Coordinator

Fortunately, I have a dedicated room. I'll look into the Kodak 18% grey color you mentioned.

4. GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB Second Unit

G. Alan Brown
    Kodak's 18% gray card is an easily obtainable true reference for neutral, found at most camera shops for about $10 to $15. It's rather dark, however. The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) recommends light gray to white for professional broadcast and post-production monitoring environments. The principles discussed in their, "Recommended Practices Document #166: Critical Viewing Conditions For Evaluation Of Color Television Pictures" can be adapted for consumer applications. SMPTE was using small direct view monitors for their studies. Larger displays of other types in the home can benefit from darker colors on room surfaces but lighter shades can certainly be considered.

SMPTE's reference for gray is from the Munsell Color Order System. The photo gray card is equivalent to a Munsell notation of N5. You can read about Munsell's 31-step Neutral Value Scale on my web site. It provides many more shades of gray for matching paint and fabrics. The only area of the room that needs to be absolutely neutral is the area within your field of view when observing the display. Other colors can be suitable elsewhere in the room. SMPTE's recommendation is for Munsell Nearly-Neutrals in professional monitor environments. SMPTE's purpose for specifying these colors relates to viewer fatigue, image integrity and color perception.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
    G. Alan Brown, President
    www.cinemaquestinc.com

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"