Wall and floor construction

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gary Hunter, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Gary Hunter

Gary Hunter Agent

Looking for advice for my new construction. My HT is being built above a detached garage and will be attached to the main house by an enclosed catwalk hallway (don't ask). So sound isolation is not an issue for this project. But sound quality is paramount. What is recommended construction technique to make frequency response, etc. as linear as possible? Or in my case does the construction technique matter at all versus appropriate fine tunig with acoustic materials?

Thanks

Gary

2. Terry Montlick

Terry Montlick Stunt Coordinator

Hi Gary,

Construction techniques are the major determiner for sound isolation. However, acoustic quality (except for background noise level) isn't significantly affected by construction methods. About the only thing I can think of that can be significant at an early stage is the ratio of room dimensions. There's no magic bullet - just make sure to avoid known "bad" dimensions. We've got a simple calculator for this, an Excel program that you can download free from my company's web site.

You can wait until drywall is in place to do acoustical treatment. That's when someone will be able to measure the time and frequency characteristics of your particular room, and to determine a specific treatment plan to give you killer acoustics.

Regards,
    Terry

3. Gary Hunter

Gary Hunter Agent

Thanks for the info Terry, that's pretty much what I was thinking, just needed some confirmation. I'll check out your companies website to see if my dimensions end up working well. I initially used the SGHT website's spreadsheet to come up with the dimensions to minimies standing waves and multiple peaks. The room will be 19' x 31' x 10'.

Gary