What's new

Wall and Ceiling colors and lighting (1 Viewer)

johng316

Agent
Real Name
John Gates
OK, assuming that I'm going to be doing some soundproofing in the ceiling and I don't want holes in the ceiling, I'm thinking about wall and celiing colors and lighting.

My first instinct is the paint the projection wall a flat black and do the ceiling in either the same flat black or maybe flat gray. Thoughts?

For lighting, I was thinking I'd go with wall sconces, but I could also do some track lighting without cutting holes in the nicely soundproofed ceiling. I had also thought about installing some moulding and doing some uplighting to the ceiling, but not sure how that would come off with a black or grey ceiling.

Guess I'm just hoping for some input.

Theater room is currently open to the rest of the basement (sort of an L shape with short end of L being theater room). Eventually, I will enclose this room, but for now I'll have 3 1/3 walls to work with.

I have painted my theater a dark cranberry before, but now I'm leaning toward an earth tone, maybe a dark taupe or something.

Just need some ideas, particularly around lighting. Colors could impact the choices. Ideas anyone?

Thanks,

John

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
If you get the crown-mold lights bright enough to cast light into the room, you will forever see every and any imperfection in that ceiling's surface.

Leo

johng316

Agent
Real Name
John Gates
VERY good point! I hadn't thought about it, but you are right. Angled lighting will show off any wrinkle or fold or rut. Bad idea.

johng316

Agent
Real Name
John Gates
Hi Ted,

I decided on an interim stage. I painted the projection wall Flat Black (using Behr paint, IMO it's the best for getting good coverage in 1-2 coats with dark colors). I also painted the first 1/3 of the side walls flat black. The back 2/3 will be painted another color later on.

I left the crop ceiling and florescent lighting in place for now. they are still white. I have painted drop ceilings before using a sprayer (the only practical way to do it, IMO), and even that was a pain. If the tile you painted moves just a little, the white stripe that was concealed under the metal support will become visible,and it looks bad.

Next step for me is to build my risers.

After that, I'll eventually take down the drop ceiling and put in sconce lighting on the walls.

As of now though, I'm able to watch movies and enjoy my system, so I'm happy.

There's a rule of thumb I have to beware of however: Once you start watching movies in your home theater, all construction STOPS. :)

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks