Wall and Carpet colour, Risers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by SamCK, Dec 1, 2003.

1. SamCK

SamCK Agent

HT room is 17 by 12 wide. 120 inch daigonal 4:3 screen at front, X1 projector ceiling mounted 16.5 feet back. Wonderful clear image, but significant light spill which I understand is a problem with these "cheaper" projectors.

Currently, the room has a light wall colour, and when a movie is playing with no room lights on, the walls light up.

Any suggestions on wall colour. Should I paint the front wall a flat black and ceiling as well. I was thinking maybe a burgandy on the side walls.

What colour carpeting? Currently a tan burber.

I'd like to build a riser in the back, about 6 inches high and about 4.5 feet in depth. Would you recommend building this on top of the existing carpet, and is so, how should I attach it or will it's weight along hold it. Should I rip the carpet up in the back, and glue it to the cement. There is in floor heating so I don't really want to drive nails into the conrete floor. Thanks.

2. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

Sam,

I built my 4'X 8' riser on existing carpet and by the time the seats were on it it wasn't going anywhere. I used 2X6's (would have liked to use 8's or 10's but I had a clearance problem with duct work) and a nearly 1 inch thick piece of plywood and it's solid as a rock.

3. SamCK

SamCK Agent

Did you fill it with insulation, and if so, how did you hold it in - plywood (1/2 inch) on bottom as well, or soem sort of sofa material (ie stuff under sofa's) on the bottom. I plan on making it in the garage and then carrying it down - it will likely be 4 by 8.

I was thinking 1/2 inch plywood at bottom, 2X6 with 12 inch centers frame, fill it with insulation, 3/4 plywood (glued and screwed, roofing felt, and another 3/4 inch plywood. Is this overkill, and will attaching a sheet to the bottom intefer with acoustics?

4. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

Sam,
    Check out the front of mine for some ideas!!! Looks good and very easy. All grill cloth. Email me if you have questions!!!!
    Shawn

5. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

Sam,

I have my joists right on the existing carpet. No plywood on the bottom. I did fill it with 6" thick insulation after it was in place and then I attatched the top piece of plywood. Mine was just a hair under 1 inch thick. 7/8" I think. I know I'll get reprimanded for this but I do think gluing, screwing and using 2 layers of plywood with roofing felt in-between is overkill. I put nails all the way around and down the center of the joists about 6 inches apart and there has not been a single creak out of the thing. However, my theater seats are screwed directly through the plywood and into the joists. I put down a layer of carpet padding on the top and then covered the whole unit with quality carpet. I haven't had any acoustical problems that I'm aware of. No resonating or vibrations.