wall anchor help

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Brenden, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Brenden

Brenden Extra

Im setting up my surround speakers and one wall has a stud for speaker placement, the other does not. This means I need to use the wall anchors for the other speaker to keep both speakers equidistant from the back wall. My speaker weight is 1.8lbs net. Im using soundgear mounts rated at 8lbs (not sure if they are suggesting the anchors can handle that weight. They are the toggler alligator type). If there is anything else I can use--if you feel this won’t hold--please let me know.

Thanks,
    Brenden

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    1.8 lbs. isn't much so I think regular anchors should be fine. If you are still nervous, try toggle bolts. Those can handle quite a bit of weight. By the way, I'm holding up my 4-1/2 lb Onkyo surrounds with two plastic anchors and so far so good. Gene

3. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Brendon,
    I assume your talking about going into hollow drywall. If so, normal toggles will work fine, but the bracket will have to be mounted at the same time as the anchors. That can be a little cumbersome to use. For the type of loads you are talking these (the nylon ones) will work great and are available just about anywhere hardware is sold. They just screw into the drywall with minimal effort, and can sustain weights of 15+ pounds each dependant on your drywall.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Brenden,

I’ll second Bill’s recommendation. The E-Z anchors (as they’re commonly known) are all you need with a speaker that light. I usually just poke a hole in the wall with a #1 Phillips screwdriver as a pilot.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt