Walking Tall

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ThomasC, Dec 5, 2003.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

The Official site is now up with the trailer available in Quicktime:
    http://www.walkingtallmovie.com/home.html

It looks like an early Seagal or Stallone movie. I didn't see The Rundown, but "The Rock" seems to be picking roles that suit him.

3. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Hopefully, if the movie is decent people will actually see it. While The Rundown wasn't necessarily the best action movie of the decade, it was very solidly made and entertaining and deserved to make a lot more money than it did.

4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I'm in no hurry to see this remake but I do agree that there is something to be said for picking the right projects for the current stage of your career. Rock seems to be easing himself into acting not unlike Arnold IMO.

You never can tell, the guy does have charisma.

5. Jim Dalton

Jim Dalton Stunt Coordinator

Personally, I'd rather see the original with Joe Don Baker.

6. James T

James T Screenwriter

You're forgetting that Johnny Knoxville is in it as well. Gotta love Knoxville.

At first, I didn't want to see the Rock doing movies, but now, I'm not too sure. He has what it takes to be at Schwarzenegger's level, but will he reach that level? Most, if not all, still see him as a wrestler first and actor second.

7. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Yeah, I agree. If The Rock does to "Walking Tall" what he did to "The Scorpion King" I shudder at the results. Give me the Joe Don Baker version anytime. The series/genre suffered even after Bo Svenson took the lead role.

8. Jim Dalton

Jim Dalton Stunt Coordinator

9. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I'm still waiting for the Rock to get a decent role. The guy has a ton of stage presence, like already mentioned. I hope he would take maybe a big supporting cast role in a very good movie, get his name out to people that don't go see movies with him as the star. Let him ease into it and maybe he could get some giant role, like the terminator for Arnold or something like that.

10. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I actually don't see The Rock as a leading actor. I thought his role in "The Mummy Returns" was pretty good. I see him more of a supporting role type guy, kind of like Jesse Ventura in "Predator." It is unfortunate that "The Scorpion King" had so much bad camp and cheese in it. I was really disappointed in it the first time I saw it. I re-screened it the other night, and putting it in perspective, it isn't really all that bad a film. I could see him as a second banana, but not the lead actor. I wonder if his name is gonna be Buford Pusser in the new "Walking Tall" film? I think he would make an excellent Jon Jonz, the Martian Manhunter if they ever make a movie out of that comic book character.

11. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I don't think he's going to be called Buford Pusser in the remake. It's apparently only going to be a loose remake. I do think he's got potential as a leading action star but I also agree that it can't hurt him to get his face out there through supporting roles, so audiences will get a chance to warm up to him instead of just dismissing him outright because of a vehicle built around him. He seems to agree since he's going to be doing a supporting role in the Get Shorty sequel.

12. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I think the only thing this remake has to do with the original is the taillights scene.

13. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

If he wants to remake the Joe Don Baker movies, do you think he will do Mitchell ?

(nods to MST3K fans in the know)

Mitchell!!

Phil