What's new

walking out on a movie... (1 Viewer)

Scott W.

Second Unit
The only movie (theater or video) that I ever stopped viewing was The English Patient. Oh yuck.

Scott

Cagri

Second Unit
I will walk out if the level of my boredom exceeds a point and becomes unbearable. It happened twice till now, first one was about 13 years ago and I don't remember the film. The second one was more recent, which was SHOWTIME with Eddie Murphy and Robert De Niro. My God, what an awful film that was! I walked out after the first 40 minutes, and those 40 minutes were full of pain.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Hey, sorry if this has been brought up, but how do you get your money back? I didn't realize cinemas were required to redeem you if you venture into a truly crappy movie. Or did you have to make up some sort of excuse?
Well, you obviously walked out for a reason, so that would be your excuse. One of my friends used to be a theater manager, and people would be asking for their money back on really intense movies, like Black Hawk Down and the like. He'd give them their money back. Besides, the cinema makes little or no money on the ticket sale, that money goes to the studio, the cinema gets their money from concessions.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit

Why, because I don't think a song like that deserves to be turned into a show tune. I somehow doubt Kurt would have let it be in there had he been alive. In my opinion it was just wrong and it made me angry.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Forgot to mention the collosal mistake of watching "My Bosses Daughter" Ashton Kutcher should be punked out of Hollywood

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Why, because I don't think a song like that deserves to be turned into a show tune. I somehow doubt Kurt would have let it be in there had he been alive. In my opinion it was just wrong and it made me angry.
No, because that is about 5 minutes into the movie. I would think that a person would need more time than that to evaluate a film, but I submit to your superior film evaluation abilities. :frowning:

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Charles,

Life is too short to waste time on something you don't like. If you like it great, more power to you. I am not the one who rolled my eyes though.

My wife watched the whole thing and so I peeked in to see other scenes. I didn't like any part of what I saw. It is the type of movie that you either love of hate. I am definitely in the camp that hated it. And I didn't have to watch the whole thing to figure that out.

And that sound you hear is Kurt rolling over in his grave.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Kurt was a pretty good sport about such things. He gave Weird Al his blessing to parody the song, I don't see why he'd object to this.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Peter, we arent talking about staying in a job you hate for 30 years. Life is too short to spend two hours exposing yourself to something new???? I respect the fact that you dont like it, but I am still curious as to the reasons. Was it the music? Do you like any other musicals? Give me some more info...

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I'm with Peter Mazur on this one. The minute they started playing Elton John's "Rocket Man", in a film that is supposed to take place in the '20s, that was it for me. I like Nicole Kidman and all (loved "The Others"), but this movie just did not do it for me at all. Funny thing is, my wife loved it!!!!!

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Charles,

Like I have said, I did watch different scenes and I got the gist of the story. To me it was just to over the top both visually and musically. The scene with Nirvana's music just made me angry. Let me say this, in the movie The Doors, there is a scene where Jim Morrison is watching a commercial where they play "Light My Fire". It is a stupid camped up version of it and he gets pissed and throws the TV. This movie made me feel that way. I didn't like the use of it in this way. And Kurt Cobain is not around to give his approval. Neither of course is Freddie Mercury, although he probably would have liked this film. Kurt may have loved it, who knows. I actually have tried to watch it twice and both times I felt the same way.

To answer your question, no I am not a huge fan of musicals. The only one I truly love is Fiddler On The Roof. I have also grown to like Grease (it is one of my wifes favorites).

I love music though. You can look at my collection and see that I have very eclectic taste.

Keir H

Second Unit
I too did not like MR, however love Nicole Kidman in other films quite a bit. I only rented this to see what all the hype was and boy was I disappointed. I do realize though that some loved it and own the dvd. I could not get into it but like alot of musicals generally....now Chicago, I thought was fantastic. Everyone has different tastes but mainly i hear women like this one more than men.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
For the record, MOULIN ROUGE (despite the modern songs) was set approximately in the 1890s to 1900, not the '20s.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
All the more reason that the music in the score was totally riciculous.
Didnt you know this was the case going in. I mean, the moderin music isnt just an intersting aside, its the whole POINT of the movie. I mean, it would be like if you went and saw Romeo + Juliet (another Baz film) and said, it sucked because they talked funny. Either you dont mind seeing a unique film or you do. I guess you just expected MR to be exactly like every other film released that year. yawn :frowning:

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Nope I didn't know that was the case going in. Heck, If I did, I wouldn't have even bothered with the movie. the inclusion of modern music in a period piece like "Moulin Rouge" just made the film laughable. They could have written new songs in the style of the era for the film, like they do for most legitimate theater plays, and made it more believable. As for Romeo & Juliet, If you mean the abomination starring Leonardo DiCaprio, that was just an insult to Shakespear, which I summarily dismissed. I don't mind seeing unique films at all. I mind a waste of my time and money. That is of course, only my opinion.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Chuck, I'm a bit confused. Surely there has been a film that mixes periods that you still liked. 2001 uses classical music that definately was not written in the period that the film takes place during. Did you like it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks