What's new

walking in a hallway - what's the etiquette? (1 Viewer)

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Man, I thought I was the only one. I totally agree with walking on the right side of the hallway, especially when navigating blind corners. Some other pet peeves:

1) Do you notice that when a bunch of people are walking through the right door, sometimes someone on the other side will stand there all day until the way is clear instead of just opening the other door?

2) I'm sure some of you work or go to school somewhere that has those handicapped buttons you can push to open the door automatically. It irks me when able-bodied people push these, when it takes longer than simply opening the door (sometimes the automatic opener is excruciatingly slow).

I'm sure I'll think of more, and don't get me started on driving.

--Nathan

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I hate these very same things also, and when I was in high school there was another one that just pissed me off. I'd be walking down the hall on the right, and some duface would be walking backwards in order to carry on a conversation with their friend, back in to me and then tell me to watch where I was going. Its a wonder I've let so many of these idiots continue to exist...

Jim_F

Screenwriter
My hallway pet peeves:

-Slow walkers who fan out across the entire width of the hallway. It usually takes 3, but sometimes 2 will try harder.

-Next time you're in a hospital, take note - physicians suffer from an unusual speech impediment which precludes them from communicating with each other unless they're blocking a doorway at the very least (an entire hallway is preferred, and workgroups are formed for this purpose)

Stephen Nielsen

Auditioning
I totally agree that people are inconsiderate when walking through hallways in groups, but you have to remember that when people are in a group their collective IQ decreses with each additional person in the group. :)

Seriously, if I'm walking with friends I always make room for other people to get past. It's when I'm walking alone that you have to watch out. I figure it's always best to walk around like you're important, people tend to pick up on it and stay out of your way.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Reading through all of these posts, I don't think any of you have it as bad as me (and other senior high school students).

Imagine the following. You have a MAXIMUM of five minutes to get from one high school class to another. If you are not at your next class by the time the period begins, you are late.

Now, let's take these 10 foot wide hallways, and lets jsut say that in order to get to your next class, you have to walk through the hallways inhabited by grade 9 and 10 lockers (ages 14-early-early-16s). Now, these grade nine and tens feel that it is of the utmost importance to congregate around their lockers during EACH period. They cannot simply grab their books and go, but must instead form large groups around said lockers, blocking the hallway. This happen on both sides, by the way, creating a very narrow (possibly smaller than a foot) wide gap in the middle to squeeze through.

Now you must be saying: "But Mark, surely it can't be that bad. Just push your way through." Oh boy, if only it was that easy. Lets review, shall we. Juvenile idiots, blocking the hallway after each period, and I have 5 minutes to push through it. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, add the fact that these pre (and sometimes mid)-pubescent bodies think they stink, and often times do. So, what do they do to solve this? Well, the impregnate the hallway with the stench of their cheap cologne/perfume. One perfume isn't that bad, but many, mixing, in a small place, can lead to an instant headache.

So the moral of this story is, the next time you're stuck in a crowded hallway, jsut think of what Mark has to go through EVERY DAY.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Its true, and got a laugh out of me at the same time, well done.

Hey, I remember high school, and everything Mark says is true, and was also where the walking backwards to continue a conversation took place that I mentioned earlier.

True story just as an aside, when I was a freshman we had 10 minutes between classes, and I was chronicly late, every other year of school we had 5 minutes between class and I was usually early/on time. Perhaps had I not felt the need to run and get food in between breaks from the commons I might have made it, but I did not concern myself with such things.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
When I was a freshman in college, I was studying fine art and had a gigantic portfolio (to hold my art) that stuck out about a foot or two in front of me. If anyone got in my way, they'd get a crotch-full of a hard leather portfolio corner. :D

oh no, I mentioned crotches in another thread, where's Tony???

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
We were discussing this in Walmart yesterday, where we were subject to an extreme concentration of idiocy. Let's see if I can count the offenses :)

1- Aisles are made for 2-way traffic. Don't push your fecking cart right down the middle, unless you like getting sideswiped by my cart...

2- if you're going into a sub-aisle to look at shoes, don't leave your cart behind you blocking the entire main aisle. When I ram it and call you a dirty name, it's entirely your fault...

3- when you're making a right-hand turn out of an aisle, don't keep staring at the ice cream on your left. Again, when I ram your cart and call you a dirty name, it's entirely your fault..

4- if you're walking very slowly down the center of an aisle and then stop very suddenly w/o looking to see if anyone's behind you, you WILL get a print of my shopping cart in your ass...

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

I wish I had the stones to do this one day. I've held my ground and had brats run into me (I'm not PhilG size, but 6' around here is a decent height), but I have yet to actually steamroller one. Someday I just might do it :angry:

Some time ago, there was a bit of hoopla about an incident in Borders (yes, we have that here): a kid, maybe 8-10 years old (I forget), was running up and down the aisles like it was a playground, making a complete nuisance of himself. A man told him off, the kid continued doing it, and the man slapped him next opportunity. The papers reported it, and we got all sorts of feedback from both sides of the coin: parents mortified that a stranger could slap "their precious", others who took the view the parents of the kid in question should have taught their son better and that he probably deserved it.

CaseyLS

Second Unit
The first time I say it, "Excuse me" means pardon me but the second time means "Get the F*** outta my way." Except when I am at work and then it means "Get the F*** outta my way, you dirt skank who is ruining my Saturday and annoying me with your bratty unbathed undisiplined spawns":angry:

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Just ask any characters from Sports Night or The West Wing. They have experience with this sort of thing. Sorkin fans know what I'm talking about.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I'd bet a MEEELLLION dollars, that if 1/10 the "angry" energy went into simply cordially identifying the problem to the offender, that we wouldn't have a lot of these problems. You don't have to blow up on people, just let 'em know. You'd be surprised the results you can get by looking someone direct in the eye, smiling, and explaining your problem. I even use the apologetic route here sometimes- I'm not really sorry that I'm bugging them about something, but it puts them at ease, and I get what I want.:)

Is it really more fun to let other peoples' actions control your emotions?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Tony, it was a bit of hyperbole. :)

I suppose staring straight ahead with a poo-eating grin might qualify. Staring straight ahead with furrowed eyebrows and clenched jaw can work too. I haven't mastered the art of blank expression so I usually stick with the wild-eyed slightly amused expression instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks