walking in a hallway - what's the etiquette?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ted Lee, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

yep ... another "ted is irked today" thread....

so i've come to notice, that when i walk down the hallways here at work, people are just idiots, or clueless ... or clueless idiots.

here's an example.

imagine a hallway wide enough to accomodate three people side-by-side. three of them are walking abreast of eachother, coming my way. i'm essentially forced to go as close to my right-wall as possible so i don't collide with the one closest to me. now that i don't mind ... i'm simply trying to get by.

but what *kills* me is that the person closest to me (who, btw, clearly sees me coming their way) barely scoots over -- it's like that person isn't willing to "step behind" their buddies ... even for a second. heaven forbid that person miss out on what the other two buddies are yapping about.

imo, it would seem proper etiquette (and just plain freakin' courteous) to simply step behind for a sec, instead of forcing me to do the "shoulder-twist" thing.

ugh, i've said it before and i'll say it again ....

"the masses are asses!"

note: i tried to be gender free in this bold blanket statement, because i've seen both women and men do this. arses i say!

double note: heck, i even recently had a lady try to force her way through a doorway that i was already entering - she ended up hitting me with her lunch box. then she looked surprised when i gave her a stare. [​IMG]

2. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

Were you at an elementary school? [​IMG]

3. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Well, the trick is to not make eye contact. If you make eye contact they for some reason will always expect you to move aside. It's just the Murphy's Law of sidewalks/hallways. Avoid looking at them and they will always move aside.

4. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Oh, don't get me started. At least our halways here at work are wide enought for 4-5 people so I don't run into that much here, but when it does happen, Im like "what, a 10' wide hall is not enough for you?". What kills me is the lack of elevator manors. I was under the impression that when the doors open to let you in, you are suppose to let the people currently in the elevator out 1st, then you go in. Well, not here. I cant count the times when Im trying to exit and someone practically checks me into the boards trying to get in. [​IMG] One time I was trying to get into the elevator after the occupants left, but they just stood gabbing right in front of the door after they exited and I couldn't get around them before the doors closed. [​IMG]

5. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

I see morons are morons the world over. Same problem here. [​IMG] Likewise with subway trains, some idiots start pushing into the car before the passengers trying to get off are out. Sheesh [​IMG]

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Personally, if there are 2 or 3 of you, and one of me, and you're taking up the whole facking hallway? I'm *not* moving.
    And at 6'3 240 pounds, most of the time I win.

Get me a job there and I'll check 'em out of the way for you [​IMG]

My FAVORITE is when I'm walking along, minding my business and someone is walking RIGHT at me looking straight down. They always look up at the last second and get the funniest look on their face, like oh shit it's godzilla! (the shorter they are, the greater the expression for some reason)

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

This sounds like a job for Terry Tate...

BTW, I see this behavior a lot at chinese grocery stores...for some reason, a lot of the chinese seniors (and now I'm noticing Canadian-borns doing this too in recent years) park their carts and themselves in such a way that all traffic is blocked, regardless of how wide the aisles are.

It's lots of fun pushing their carts noisily away with my cart...I love the look on their faces when I barrel through them while looking straight ahead with an "I'm late for my serial killer's anonymous meeting" expression.

8. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I get the same thing at my work. I just run into people now. People here are always cutting blind corners too. I don't know how many times I've come around a right corner and had someone coming from the opposite way on that side of the hallway. Walking should be like driving. Stay to the right (in the U.S.). If people would do this, it would alleviate a lot of the problems.

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Word.

--
    H

10. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Philip and Holadem,
    My tactic is to walk right at the big fellers. When they give me that look, I just wind up and kick them in the ballzac as hard I can. When they are wincing, hunched over in pain, I whisper in their ear..."How you like me now, Lurch? Guess you shoulda moved." [​IMG]

Yeah, people are total a-holes. Just remember...you are not as important as that idiot in a rush. Some people with strollers are worse, especially in big public areas. Hey lady...they aren't MY kids. I'll knock them over and out, without batting an eye.

Take care,
    Chuck

11. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

Best idea is to put a big smile on and say excuse me, and then push past. If you're simply polite and exert a little force, you can go anywhere (as long as you're dealing with civilized people; otherwise just plow through [​IMG])

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I hate when people stop to chat, RIGHT in the god damn way.

13. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Hallway traffic or walking traffic should FLOW like driving traffic.

It really irkes me when people walk into other people(the wrong side of the hallway)

Other thing is that when the hallway is big enough for 3-4 people and the whole group take up the whole hallway, not allowing for others to get by.

I call this the Wizard of Oz syndrome.
    (when Dorthy and the others are walking side by side holding hands)
    Thus not allowing anyone else to get by.

HUGE PET PEEVE

14. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

I usually just stop, look straight forward and braces my shoulder so they have something nice to run into. It especially fun whena group of kids at the mall try running their crowd through me and the wife. One of them usually fall to the ground and just look.[​IMG]

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

oh...my...god...becky! don't even get me started on this. what's really stupid is that we have those reflective globe things above every corner -- so that you can (gasp) actually *see* what's coming around the corner. hell, they might as well be disco balls.

i would love to just smash past them, but unfortunately, i (supposedly) work in a professional environment and i think i might get myself kicked out! [​IMG]

as far as elevators go ... i never take em. one, my building is only two floors. two, i'm always afraid i'm gonna rip one in the elevator and everyone will know it's me.

16. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

This bugs my wife more than me, but what is the deal with oversizing those suckers and then acting like the world should accomodate you? I know that whenever I try to go somewhere, drive somewhere, whatever that I'm not really supposed to, that I assume myself to be the jackass and am embarrassed if I start to get in someone's way by doing so.

I understand that maybe you WANT to use the stroller and that's fine, just so long as you acknowledge the fact that it is YOU who are the problem with the more effective normal routine that we were following.

And while your at it, try not to push the limits unless its totally necessary.

Following driving rules would be great, but have you seen some of these people drive? The ones that don't get out of the way in the halls are the same worthless pieces of crap that think it's a "fast lane" or "extra lane" instead of a PASSING LANE.

I wish you would get points on your driving record everytime someone passed you on the right. Maybe that would inspire people to force their way over to the right and out of the G-D WAY.

Luckily I don't let it bother me. [​IMG]

17. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

I agree with the walking in hallways should be like driving idea. The mall is where this comes in to play. A slow lane and a passing lane. When two groups of slow people are walking side by side and you have to manuver between or around them its quite annoying.

18. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Oh, back on the elevator thing. I make it a point to stand about 2" from the door as it opens, again "OH SHIT IT'S GODZILLA!" ensues.

19. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    heh, on campus one day, some people taped up road lines and left turn lanes and crosswalks in the hallway, that was awesome. Yet, still people chose to go in the wrong direction.

20. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

I was working in South Africa, where they drive on the wrong side of the road. I had no problem with the driving, but you would not believe the number of people I crashed into while walking in hallways.