What's new

Walking Dead Season 8 (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I don't know why I keep giving this show a chance to reveal a shimmer of former glory, but an overlong episode of the least interesting character (and the weakest actor) doing a 60-minute swan song (and breaking all previous rules of how long it takes someone to revert) should be enough to drive anyone away. But I watch with my son and we do enjoy a running mock commentary on silly the whole thing has gotten. I told him we need to re-watch season 1 to remember the potential of the show.

But seriously, the drama of Carl's death had almost zero impact compared to what they thought they were delivering. The directing was awful. Sorry to rag on this but, come on, there was so much they could have done with this show then just recycle the same old back and forth big new baddy and big character death scene. And when did Morgan turn into a killing machine? He was the last pacifist holdout with a remotely different character arc than any other major character. But he'll be gone soon enough, moving to the other series, I read.

And no Maggie, who should be the next lingering death scene since she is moving on to her own series. Do you blame them? Put Rick out of his misery already, and the rest of us with him. Or add a laugh track.

I'm with you. New episode on the DVR, but I may just delete it. When they brought in Negan, destroyed the show, been going downhill ever since. Glen and Abraham vanished. They killed off Spencer and his entire family, along with Denise. Yet that jerk, Dwight keeps going.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
So are we supposed to believe that Carl was wanting his dad to make up and hug it out with Negan? I don't think either side is willing to just stop fighting. As long as Negan is in charge, everyone else is basically a slave. So I don't see that dream sequence as even remotely possible. In fact, I think telling his dad all this sappy stuff is a bit of a crappy thing for Carl to do.

On a different note, was this the first episode to have silenced pistols? Carole's made a sound like a silenced one when they were taking out the guys at the kingdom, then the one Carl used at the end also made the sound of a silenced pistol.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
WalkingDeadRatings.png
Wikipedia's section on this show has this nifty chart of the ratings over time. Seasons 4,5 and 6 were basically flat, then when Negan came on in season 7 they have starting to really fall off.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
View attachment 44391 Wikipedia's section on this show has this nifty chart of the ratings over time. Seasons 4,5 and 6 were basically flat, then when Negan came on in season 7 they have starting to really fall off.
I don't think the problem is Negan (for my money, the character and Jeffrey Dean Morgan are easily the best thing on the show) as much as it's a natural ratings drop that occurs over time. For a popular show, there's usually a point where the audience just falls off no matter what. At this point, the only thing that could rebound the ratings for TWD is to announce an end date for the series.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I hate the character of Negan with a passion! He turned a program that I could not wait to see every week to a chore I watch out of habit. I am not a violent person at all, but unless he is rolled over by a tank and we see it in all its gory detail ...

Oh yes, it also made me hate Jeffrey Dean Morgan an actor I quite liked once from “The Good Wife” etc.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Yeah Negan is probably the only reason I'm still watching. I'm at the point where I hope he wins the war (even though I know that won't happen).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The episode was extra long, and felt it(for the sake of commercials...what did we get 35 minutes of them?).

I loved the ending of Carl, even if it was a bit drawn out. I'm glad he got to know Siddiq before he died, who is an oddball in this series. Siddiq is likeable, completely and honestly the nicest person ever to be featured in this series. I like that the writers had Carl meet up with him and had a bit of much needed lightness/philosophy that Siddiq shared with him. Even though their friendship was brief, it was powerful, and important.

I have no idea what is going on with Morgan, and at this point, don't really care. His character arc is all over the map.

Next episode should be good too.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I get that people don't like Negan because he's a big bad meanie and seems to take pleasure in killing or torturing innocent people, but the bottom line is he's the only interesting/compelling character left on the show. Even Daryl has been relegated to mostly mop-up duty since being captured last season.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Still love the show. I have no problem with Negan. But this episode was too long and uninteresting. We knew Carl was dying at the end of the first half. We didn't need a protracted farewell.

People also need to keep in mind the show takes place during very small pieces of time. The time frame from Carl being bitten to him dying was probably only about 12-15 hours. His bite wasn't major (ie losing half of his neck) so his lasting 'so long' isn't unrealistic to me. There are times, however, where I wish the show didn't spend 8 episodes covering two hours of in-show time.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I think its fashionable now to just hate watch this show and bitch and compaln about everything, if you people don't like it for gods sake stop freaking watching it, move on, why do you waste time on something that gives you no enjoyment? Why ? You want to really see a train wreck go watch season 4 of Z Nation , I'm still thankful of the quality we get on TWD. The show was never about zombies or a cure it's about Life surviving in a Zombie Apocylypse and following characters who live and die within it. If the Creaters gave carl a quick 5 min death scene, people would bitch, they arent respecting character, yada yada yada, if they make it thru the Show they are dragging it out. People just want to complain. Move on Please.
Its actually nothing new. Its always been this way for this very popular show but they never leave hmmm.. Look at TV.com or other forum posts for Seasons 2-5 which the complainers now say are former glory days but they gave the same mocking comments on those seasons when they were originally broadcast. "Whenever you are on top people love to hate you"

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The show cant progress (story move forward) as long as Negan is around. We need this story line to end so the show can move forward.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
The show cant progress (story move forward) as long as Negan is around. We need this story line to end so the show can move forward.
I say kill off Rick, Carol, Eugene, Morgan, Michonne...pretty much anyone...then keep around Negan, Daryl, Simon, maybe Jesus, and move the story forward from there. That would certainly be more interesting than Negan being killed and then Rick and the group just moving on to the next big bad meanie. Lather...rinse...repeat...

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I hate the character of Negan with a passion! He turned a program that I could not wait to see every week to a chore I watch out of habit. I am not a violent person at all, but unless he is rolled over by a tank and we see it in all its gory detail ...

Oh yes, it also made me hate Jeffrey Dean Morgan an actor I quite liked once from “The Good Wife” etc.

Agree with you 100%. One actor destroys a show. Also like you, his past work has faded away. The horrible character he plays on TWD will always be in the background with any older things he has done.

I know it's just acting. But sometimes it's the only thing you remember.

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
I half expected that the disease would have mutated by now and Carl would survive.

I really thought they would go this route - make everyone think he was going to die, but all he does is get sick and not turn...and then that would drag on forever...or maybe have him eventually get better and show that the virus is eventually working itself out and dissipating...

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Just watched this episode last night. Holy smokes what an snooze fest. Greg Nicotero directed. I'm thinking he should not do anymore of that...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That being said, I have a feeling that AMC has no interest in a semi-graceful exit and they'll want to keep it going until there's no audience left.

Maybe it was tongue in cheek, but last year they were saying they were thinking of ways to make TWD go on for decades. I guess I can’t complain because I can just stop watching. It does seem ridiculous. These characters and a zombie apocalypse aren’t * that* compelling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks