What's new

Walked out? (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I tend to be stubbornly determined to stay watching a film, even if I hate it. I want to be able to say that I gave it a chance

The only time I really would have walked out on a film was Event Horizon. I really desperately wanted to leave, but I was with four other people, and I was their ride, so I didn't feel that I could leave.

Funny thing was, when we walked out at the end, every single one of us hated the film and wanted to leave, but didn't because they thought everyone else was enjoying it.

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
I have never walked out of a movie. I want my money's worth.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

I did fall asleep once, and you'll have to forgive me for this, but it was during The Fellowship of the Ring. I zonked out during the lull just before the final battle in the woods.

In my defense, I was hospitalized the next day with a kidney stone. :thumbsdown:

EricW

Senior HTF Member
don't understand the whole point of staying because the movie's paid for... if you pay for food at a restaurant and it sucks, do you still finish off the plate? :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Not a bad analogy, the only problem I see with that is, finishing a movie won't make me vomit later, at least not physically, my brain may end up hugging the porclin throne all night, though. ;)

I "psycho-vomited" many times after the aformentioned The Fog. ;)

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
I walked out of Bullworth and Monster's Ball. But please don't take it to mean that I dislike Halle Berry. I am actually a fan... :)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I have walked out on one movie and that was Steve Martin's "Mixed Nuts." Holy crap was that bad...with a great cast, to boot. My wife and I were so excited to see a funny movie with Steve Martin in it (he had just come off a series of not-so-funny movies like "A Simple Twist of Fate," "Leap of Faith" and "Grand Canyon" so there was hope that the old Martin would come out to play. Holy smokes were we wrong. The movie was about a suicide prevention phone line...and we wanted to kill ourselves after watching it! Gah!! Sadly, it wouldn't be a real Martin movie until his own "Bowfinger," which pretty much redeemed him (though he honestly hasn't done anything of worth since that final classic...boy, has he lost his shine).

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
yesh i finish it off even if i have to throw up =). what's the idiom about waste not and all that.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Back in the day, I probably gave up on dozens of movies on cable...

Anyway, I've never walked out on a movie at a theatre. The most pissed off ever was on January 6, 2006 when I saw Bloodrayne. Dangit if it was not one of the most craptacular films i have ever seen...

I LOVE B-Movies, and am usually cracking up at the bad films, but it takes a lot for me to hate a movie. Basic Instinct 2: Risk Addiction was boring and lame. I could have walked out. While not a bad movie, Howl's Moving Castle was boring and I don't care for anime. Oh, Brother's Grimm really ticked me off, but I stayed.

ry

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
As bad as Joe Vs. the V is...I still find myself using a couple of quotes. I frequently refer to myself as having a brain cloud. :D

Walking out vs. not finishing a meal? A meal would have to be pretty vile or outright rancid for me to not eat what I've paid for. And the few times it's truly been that bad, I've insisted on not being charged.

Rudi

Stunt Coordinator
Click, I thought it was a typical Sandler movie but my friend thought it insulted his intelligence. He left after about 30 minutes and went to the bar in the theater. His opinion is pretty much that back in the old days when you had to walk uphill both ways in a blizzard in july to the theater the summer movies were much better. I stayed for an hour and walked out as it was not funny and the only redeeming factor was CW.

IanDP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I usually stay to finish a really bad movie because I always kind of hope the ending will redeem it.

However, I've really only considered walking out once...

Lurhman's Romeo + Juliet. See, I'm a big fan of Zeffirelli's version (so I should've known better). Also, Lurhman's directing style was making me ill. He did put together a great cast though.

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator
I've never walked out of a movie myself, but I can think of two that I should have:

Quick Change (both my wife -- then my girlfriend - and I were ready to walk out. There was only one other person in the theater, and for some unknown reason he was laughing hysterically, so we pretty much stayed to laugh at him laughing at the movie.)

The Hard Way (I loved the Back To The Future movies, so back then I'd see pretty much anything with Michael J. Fox in it. This changed that.....)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't think we walked out on Real Men, but we should have. Also, I can't believe we stayed for all of Dragnet. Yuck.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Never walked out on a movie. Fell asleep in Thin Red Line. My roommate and I would purposely rent the worst movie we could find, so we could just rip on it while watching, in our own home, as not to bother others in a theater. We have a "dog shitter" rating system. Even now, if I'm in a theater and see a preview that looks bad, I can't help by say "that looks like a dog shitter... We would end up laughing at how stupid some of these were. I think xXx was worth many laughs...

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
Never walked out on a movie but SHOULD have walked out on:

Freejack (Emilio Estevez, Mick Jagger)
Fire Birds (Nick Cage, Tommy Lee Jones)
Hope Floats: (Sandra Bullock--NOT a good date movie)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
BADLANDS. I know, Terrence Malick is the flavor of the month and I truly enjoy his other three films (DAYS OF HEAVEN is some sort of masterpiece), but this one left me cold, and I walked out with my wife about a half-hour before it ended.

Going way-y-y back: LT. ROBIN CRUSOE U.S.N. Disney film with Dick Van Dyke. I was a teenager and even at that age could not abide this completely worthless (except for Nancy Kwan in skimpy clothing) movie.

More recently: INTO THE BLUE. Not one to want to take my eyes off of Jessica Alba, I nonetheless found the first half-hour of this atrocity unbearable and had to leave.

That's it. Sum total of movie theater walk-outs in 56 years due to crappy movies: 3. There were several more I walked out on due to technical difficulties or bad sound/projection.

Brad M

Second Unit
I don't remember what it was called but there was a Robin Williams movie where he was in charge of a toy company. My girlfriend wanted to leave a half hour in but I stuck it out. I'll never here the end of it since we're now married.

When I went to see Fellowship Of The Ring the guy in front of me wanted to leave but his girlfriend wouldn't budge. So through the whole movie he kept making fun of it and pointing out how stupid it was. I called him a dick on the way out.

I did walk out of Wild Wild West. Just couldn't get into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks