Wal-Mart stops selling anti-semitic book

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by george kaplan, Sep 24, 2004.

1. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

2. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

They sell this but not Maxim? Priorities..

3. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Merciful heavens, not that piece of trash again! [​IMG] I thought it was dead and buried forever.
    The "Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion"... I could just weep. Although I think the ADL makes a mistake in talking about the czarist connexion, when they should be mentioning that it grew out of the preface to a truly awful French novel of [as I recall] the 2d Empire period. I can understand allowing it to be sold, all books ought to be available, but it ought to be in a bright red cover with warning labels, that and Mein Kampf and Lenin's and Mao's writings too [that last one actually has such a cover [​IMG] ] with a black warning message on the front not to be decieved. Astonishing that it wouldn't be clearly labelled as a corrosive fraud.

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Well, as long as I can still buy The Turner Diaries at K*Mart......

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"Well, as long as I can still buy The Turner Diaries at K*Mart"

Really

6. andrew markworthy

What next? How about a guide to planting burning crosses outside people's houses? Perhaps it could be sold in the gardening section.

7. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    I suppose that would be OK with Walmart as long as it doesn't have any nudity; family values and all that...

8. Arne_scotch

Arne_scotch Auditioning

Jeez, walmart is really a nice place to shop, you cannot get any Cypress Hill Stuff, nothing from Cannibal Corpse, no Playboy, but hey, you can get loads of splatter stuff, guns, etc. Nudity and strange political thoughts are so much more dangerous....

9. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

You know, I know several people that work for Wal-Mart who over the years have called the management "Nazis" but.....

10. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    "Protocols" is one of those oddball political tracts that I would consider picking up in one of my used bookstore browsing sessions. I've heard so much about it and wonder how bad a political hack job it could be.

No need for a printed guide: there's plenty of information about that online. www.k-k-k.com "The Imperial Klans of America Knights of the Ku Klux Klan are a legal and law abiding organization that will NOT tolerate illegal acts of any sort." [​IMG]

Andrew, there's even a local chapter right there in sunny Wales: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/366114.stm

11. andrew markworthy

Thanks for the tip, Dennis. I've found I've got more time on my hands recently and strangling puppies just doesn't give me the kick it once did. I think these guys sound just as if they're on my wavelength and it would give me something to do in the evenings. Do you think I should give them a call?

12. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Well, Andrew, giving them a call probably won't be necessary. If you express your opinions loudly enough when visiting your local public house, I'm sure they will be contacting you in the near future.

13. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    and now for an inside joke---"NAMBLA...we're not killers!"

CJ

14. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

I'm surprised to hear WalMart was ever selling the Zion book. Well, back to reading the copy of Mein Kampf I just picked up at Toys R Us...

15. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Wal Mart actually has an amazing online bookstore. It sells anything from childrens books to graduate texts in physics. I was astonished at the selection when I went there to browse a few months back.

Now you have to go to Amazon to get copies of the historical works that brought so much evil into the world.

16. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Canada's "leading" bookstore chain stopped selling Mein Kampf a few years ago.

Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it?

Actually, I didn't know Walmart sold any literature.

17. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Yeah, but I bet they all keep carrying "The Communist Manifesto","Bible", "Koran", "The Art of War", and "How To Win Friends And Influence People" all books that maybe inspired far more hatred, violence, and death.

I have always believed that banned books that scare people may have knowledge that some fear for others to learn. If the book is truthful then it's merits will be questioned but it will be sold even if it's distasteful but if it's full of lies then it is easily shredded in a debate and most likely bought for the purpose of curiosity reading. Why ban a book because it may be antisemitic (I've never read the book so will refrain judgement about it being antisemitic) and who made Walmart the moral authority? I guess Walmart did learn from Nazi Germany's example and threw this book in a "bonfire" of their own design...

Btw doesn't this book help the homeland security as didn't they have a list of books borrowed from a library or bought from a bookstore report the persons who purchased such a book? Isn't Walmart putting us at risk for not selling such a book therefore not able to report such individuals? Walmart sure sucks...

18. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Whoa! The book is not "banned". A private company has decided not to sell a book it finds offensive. No one has stopped the publisher from printing the book, no one has used coercive force to remove the book from other sellers' shelves and no government has burned the remaining copies of the book. Walmart is quite within it's rights to not carry or sell anything it wants and that is not "censorship" of any kind, it is a company doing what it feels is best for business. Walmart is not obligated to carry this book and it is not doing so, period. Ain't capitalism grand?

I have not read the book either, but I have researched it and I assure you it is anti-semitic. Walk/quack/swim like a duck theory applies here and in this case you could serve this tome Peking style.

19. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

I think one issue with them selling it was they didn't include disclaimers. My understanding from the news story is that both Amazon and B&N sell the book but have disclaimers. I haven't searched their sites because I don't want that book to contaminate my cookies (who knows what they would recommnend I might enjoy [​IMG] ). If Walmart wanted to sell it they could, they would need to indicate its dubious nature though.

Kenneth

20. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Walmart is a for-profit business. In this case, they made a business decision to stop carrying the book in their inventory. Businesses do this when a product costs them more money than it makes.

Perfectly rational, IMO. Nothing to do with "banning" or being a "moral authority." Business decision.

Walmart is not the public library. They have every right to maximize their profits and should absolutely do so in a competitive environment. If I were a Walmart shareholder, I would expect nothing less.

John